Living in Spain

Local Registration: Nie Number

Nationals of European Union countries do not require a Visa. Nonetheless, they should apply for a NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjeros, Foreign National Identity Number) on their arrival in Spain. This document is needed, for example, to open a bank account, buy a discount transport card, or use health services: ; See also:

The application process is quite easy. Go to your local National Police Station, to the Departamento de Extranjeros (Foreigners Department) and ask for the NIE application form. The following documents must be submitted to the police station to obtain a NIE number:

  • Completed and signed original application and a photocopy
  • Passport and photocopy
  • Address in Spain.

If you have any questions, call the National Police Station, the Departamento de Extranjeros (Foreigners Department) Tel: (+34) 952 923 058

When you turn in the documentation, a stamped photocopy of the application is returned to you along with your passport. Ask them when you should come back to pick up the document. The turn around time fluctuates and your NIE can take one to six weeks. You are not notified when it is ready; start asking two weeks after you have dropped off the application. You must present the stamped copy along with your passport to pick up your NIE number. The NIE document is received as an officially stamped, A4 size document which bears your name, address, date of birth and your NIE number. Keep track of this NIE document, as different bureaucratic processes require the original. Always turn in photocopies - keep the original in a safe place.


Live with Spanish people as your Spanish will improve a lot more.

Accommodation during your year abroad is your own responsibility. Students might be assisted in finding accommodation by the International Office at their host university and assistants are likely to receive some help/advice from schools.

It is very often not possible to arrange suitable accommodation before your arrival abroad. For that reason you should be prepared to stay for several nights in a cheap hotel/youth hostel (Albergues Juveniles, You should book well in advance because it is a popular kind of accommodation.

Finding Accommodation once you are in Spain is not very difficult. The best sources are university notice boards and university accommodation services, these options are generally cheaper than if you arrange it through an estate agent.

You will often be expected to pay a deposit. If you do pay a deposit, make sure that you are given a legible receipt. Be careful when you sign a contract, and take your time to read through all of it.

University of Granada: Also, and according to a former Bangor student, Eugenio (645776855) is a very good landlord, he owns several flats.

University of Alicante:

University of Valencia:
If you are going to Valencia you can also try the Universal Students Accommodation Agency: and

University of Vigo:

University of Salamanca:

University of Girona:

University of A Coruña:

University of Santiago:
University accommodation:
Private accommodation:

University of the Balearic Islands:

General Websites:

Emergency Numbers

Living in Latin America

Although the School of Modern Languages doesn’t have any partnership agreements with Latin American Universities at the moment, you could spend your Year Abroad in this part of the world if you did a Language Assistantship with the British Council or a work placement. If you have chosen to spend your Year Abroad in Latin America, please get in touch with your Year Abroad Coordinator for specific details, since each country has its own regulations!


Dr David Miranda-Barreiro (0044)01248388577
School of Modern Languages, Bangor University, College Road, BANGOR, Gwynedd, LL57 2DG