East Germany and its Legacy
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Helga Mullneritsch
- To introduce students to one of the key periods of contemporary German history.
- To familiarise students with the socio-historical, ideological and cultural fabric of GDR society.
- To foster the students' understanding of the impact of the GDR's legacy on the united Germany and Europe since 1989.
- To foster analytical skills introduced during level two.
During this module, you will be introduced to life in the German Democratic Republic (1949-89). You will critically examine the ongoing re-imagining of the GDR and the re-negotiation of values, memories, and analyse the rise and fall of Germany’s first, and only, socialist experiment. You will explore the nature of everyday life and, in particular, the way in which the state sought to control every aspect of its citizens’ existence. Finally, you will analyse the so-called Wende and the different ways in which the GDR has been categorised since 1989. Original documents, literary texts, and films will also be studied, which reflect individual experience within the GDR.
A dossier will be circulated in class.
Christa Wolf, Der geteilte Himmel (Munich: DTV, 2010)
D- - D+: Basic grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of GDR society. At least partly-sucessful attempts to frame an argument utilising secondary materials.
C- - B+: Good grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of GDR society. Solid analysis of topic area, making good use of relevant secondary sources to support argument.
A- - A*: Excellent grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of GDR society. Clear appreciation of topic making good use of relevant secondary materials and an impressive depth of knowledge and/or subtlety of analysis.
Display an understanding of the nature of East German society and the ramifications of the GDR's collapse for the united Germany and Europe.
Present arguments in essays and examinations, supported with appropriate literary and historical evidence.
Demonstrate a mastery of basic study skills, such as the ability to follow a course of reading, make effective use of notes and secondary sources, and benefit from class discussions.
Show awareness of the GDR's significance in the broader context of contemporary German history.
|ARHOLIAD||Exam Semester 2||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 hour per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Extract and synthesise key information from written and/or spoken sources in English / Welsh and/or the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to write and think under pressure and meet deadlines. (Benchmark statement 5.15)
- The ability to write effective notes and access and manage course materials including electronic resources / information provided on online learning platforms and library resources. (Benchmark statement 5.15, 5.16)
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply relevant theoretical concepts to materials being studied. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas and arguments in presentations, classroom discussions and debates. (Benchmark statement 5.14, 5.16)
- Develop reading and audio-visual comprehension skills in the target language through the study of primary sources in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Skills in the critical reading and analysis of literary and/or musical and/or filmic texts. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to comprehend and apply cultural idioms by studying primary and secondary materials in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply information from a variety of theoreticians to German case studies. (Benchmark statement 5.11)
- The ability to analyse German-language texts (incl. films, visual materials and ideas) and place them in a wider historical-political and socio-cultural context. (Benchmark statement 5.4, 5.7, and 5.11)
- The ability to critically understand the history, political situation and culture of East and/or West Germany. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Purchase of 1 paperback novel.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lxg-3016.html
Recommended Preparatory Reading
Mary Fulbrook, The people's state: East German society from Hitler to Honecker (Yale University Press, 2005)
Mary Fulbrook, The two Germanies, 1945-1990: problems of interpretation (Macmillan, 1992)
For full list see Talis Reading List.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 4 (BA/BMG)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 4 (BA/CHG)
- T126: Chinese & German with Intl Exp year 3 (BA/CHGIE)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 4 (BA/ELG)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 4 (BA/FSGER)
- RR12: BA German/French year 4 (BA/G4F)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 4 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 4 (BA/GB)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 4 (BA/GBS)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 4 (BA/GCH)
- MR92: BA Criminology&CrimJustice/German year 4 (BA/GCR)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 4 (BA/GEC)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 4 (BA/GEL)
- R200: BA German year 4 (BA/GER)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/GERCW)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 4 (BA/GERMKT)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 4 (BA/GERWFR)
- R12R: BA German and French with International Experience year 3 (BA/GFIE)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 4 (BA/GFS)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 4 (BA/GI)
- R2R3: BA German with Italian year 4 (BA/GI4)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 4 (BA/GJO)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 4 (BA/GMST)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 3 (BA/GPSY)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 4 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 4 (BA/GS4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GSIE)
- RV21: BA History/German year 4 (BA/HG)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 4 (BA/LG)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTGER4)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- VVR2: BA Philosophy and Religion and German year 4 (BA/PRG)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 4 (BA/SPSG)
- QR52: BA Cymraeg/German year 4 (BA/WG)