Arts in the Community
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Gwawr Ifan
This module will enable a student to: explore several different aspects of arts management or arts administration, with particular reference to music; to give a clear idea of the range of personal and professional skills required in arts administration work; to acquaint students with the theoretical basis underpinning an informed approach to the promotion and management of the arts; to help students develop a range of practical skills involved in the field of arts administration; to made a specific study of an identified aspect of community activity, possibly involving analysis of present resources and recommendations for improvement; to produce a detailed report on and analysis of the project, identifying the achievement and challenges faced in each case. This module will also prepare students to undertake a 20-credit module dissertation in Year 3.
This module offers students the opportunity to achieve a degree of working knowledge – both theoretical and practical – in the field of arts administration by means of a variety of activities concerning many types of organisations devoted in some way or another to the arts. During the year, the students will plan and undertake an extended independent placement within the community, with a specific defined goal. This may be in the Bangor area or elsewhere: a possible institution could be a school, hospital, arts centre or other arts organisation (e.g. festival, music society, orchestra). The project will have a clearly defined brief with an attainable target or targets: it might involve market research on behalf of an arts centre, with a view to producing a series of recommendations on policy, or it might involve organization of a series of educational workshops on a specific theme for a local school or schools. Students may wish to focus on the same community project (e.g. the Bangor Music Festival), given that their specific responsibilities are clearly defined in their individual briefs. The project will follow on from skills acquired in Semester 1.
B- to B+ The work should display a sound grasp of the subject, a good level of conceptual thought, awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and very good expression.
C- i C+
C- to C+ Work which displays fair knowledge of the subject, with some ability at conceptual thought (albeit inconsistent or otherwise flawed), and a general awareness of issues, with evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with good expression.
D- to D+ Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the subject with limited ability at conceptual thought, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression.
Please also see the Explicit Marking Criteria for Musicology: https://my.bangor.ac.uk/handbook/content.php.en?nid=16093
A- to A** Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study, deeper thought, originality of approach and excellent written skills.
On completion of the module, students will be able to analyse the various factors involved in arts management.
On completion of the module, students will be able to carry out a specific study of an identified aspect of community activity.
On completion of the module, students will be able to take personal, social and administrative responsibility within a prescribed community context, involving a considerable degree of independent work.
On completion of the module, students will be able to analyse the theoretical basis underpinning an informed approach to the promotion of the arts in the community.
On completion of the module, students will be able to apply a variety of communication skills, as appropriate for this level of study.
Presentation topics are provided in the module handbook.
|Written assignment, including essay||Assignment 1||
You are required to produce a professionally designed promotional leaflet, brochure or folder, as well as a short, 250-word press release. Full details of the assignment are included in the module handbook.
|Written assignment, including essay||Assignment 2||
Assignment questions are available in the module handbook.
Details and full requirements for the research report are outlined in the module handbook.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Individual supervision as required, up to a total of 4 hours. It is anticipated that most of this will be requested in Semester 2.
Including preparation for classes and assignments.
Held in Weeks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 of Semester 1, and 1, 3 and 5 of Semester 2.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
If applicable (in terms of the project), the student will be responsible for - arranging their own DBS check; - travel expenses to/from project location.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-2269.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
- WXC-1001: Astudio Cerddoriaeth
- WXM-1001: The Study of Music
- WXM-1002: The Study of Music (jt-hnrs)
- WXC-1002: Astudio Cerddoriaeth (JH)
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)