Brazilian Music and Culture
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Jochen Eisentraut
- to offer an introduction to a selection of Brazilian popular music genres.
- to offer an overview of Brazilian history and culture, particularly of the last 100 years.
- to promote a deeper understanding of the cultural, social, political and intellectual currents that have influenced Brazilian music and its reception and analysis.
- to promote a deeper understanding of ethnomusicological approaches to studying music.
The module will explore some important Brazilian musical genres and relate these to cultural and political developments in the country. The impact of Brazilian popular music outside Brazil will be discussed as well as the effect of foreign music on the country. The module will give students the opportunity to familiarise themselves with several musical styles and artists. Key ideas for the analysis of the issues covered will also be discussed.
Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the subject, with simple ability at conceptual thought, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression.
The work should display a sound grasp of the subject, a good level of conceptual thought, awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and good expression.
Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study, deeper thought, originality of approach and excellent written skills.
demonstrated a deep knowledge and understanding of a range of Brazilian musics.
demonstrated a thorough understanding of the manner in which particular themes and issues in ethnomusicology might be explored with specific reference to the chosen area.
demonstrated an acute critical understanding of developments in Brazilian and global culture, and how these have interacted.
shown that they have made level-appropriate progress with respect to communication skills.
Essay topics will be provided in the module handbook.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Normally one class of up to 2 hours each week for 11 weeks. Classes will include lecture presentation, group discussion, audio and video as well as a samba workshop. There will be a Reading Week during the semester.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-3209.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)