Profile of Owain Llwyd
- Dr Owain Llwyd
- First Year Tutor & Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol Lecturer, School of Music Employability Officer
- 01248 382678
- Music Annexe
Dr. Owain Llwyd is a young Welsh composer. He studied at Bangor University with composers Bill Connor and Dr. Pwyll ap Sion where he gained his degree in 2005 receiving the Dr John Robert Jones prize for one of the highest marks throughout the University and was awarded his PhD in Composing Music for Film and the Media in 2010. He is currently a Lecturer at the School of Music, Bangor University.
Owain came into prominance as a composer between 2002 – 2005 by winning all 5 available Composer’s Medals in both the Urdd National Eisteddfod and the National Eisteddfod of Wales –the only composer to ever have achieved this. His concert music include Operas, Shows, Orchestral works and Ensemble work. His media music is published by Boosey & Hawkes and has been broadcasted around the World by 'BBC America,' 'BBC UK,' 'Sky,' 'Channel 4,' 'ITV', 'Fox' on such programmes as 'The X-Factor,' 'Top Gear,' 'US Open,' 'Eurosport' & 'Big Brother’ to name but a few.
- Composing Music for Film and the Media.
- Film Orchestration.
- Harmony & Counterpoint.
- Film & Media Composition,
- Film Orchestration,
Production Library Music
- Big Screen Atmospheres 4/4 - Epic Action Atmospheres. Abaco (Boosey & Hawkes / Imagem Music). Composer: Owain Llwyd. 12 tracks. Arrangements by Ian Roberton & Si Begg.
- Big Screen Remixes 3/4 - Epic Action Promo Music. Abaco (Boosey & Hawkes / Imagem Music). Composer: Owain Llwyd. 12 tracks. Remixed by various remixers.
- Big Screen Promos 2/4 - Epic Action Promo Music. Abaco (Boosey & Hawkes / Imagem Music). Composer: Owain Llwyd. 12 tracks. Remixed by Iain Roberton.
- Big Screen Scores 1 of 4 - Epic Action Cinema Trailer Music. Abaco (Boosey & Hawkes / Imagem Music). Recorded with the Slovak National Symphony Orchestra and the Riga Choir, Latvia. Composer: Owain Llwyd.
- ECK – Spiritual - Cavendish (Boosey & Hawkes). The Editors Construction Kit. Composer: Owain Llwyd. 10 tracks.
- CHINA PROMO TRAILERS - Abaco Virtual (Boosey & Hawkes). ‘Olympic Spirit’ and ‘Sporting Chance’. Composer: Owain Llwyd.
- ASPECTS OF WALES - Slic (part of Sain Records). 8 tracks. Composer: Owain Llwyd.
- PIANO REFLECTIONS- Slic (part of Sain Records). 2 tracks. Composer: Owain Llwyd.
TV Music Usage
- Ras Yn Erbyn Amser – 4 part documentary series for S4/C
- Fi Fo a'r MC – 3 part documentary series for S4/C
- Straeon o'r Strade – documentary for ITV Wales and S4/C
- Porthpenwaig – 8 part drama series for S4/C
- Straeon o'r Môr – Radio Cymru
- Carlammu – Radio Cymru
- Dewi Llwyd Ar Fore Sul – Radio Cymru
- Quarryman's Journey – Radio Wales
- Yr Iddewon Yng Nghymru – Radio Cymru
- PAINTING MUSIC - Ensemble: Painting Music (Oboe, Cello, Piano). For Bangor New Music Festival 2011
- LLANGWM - Choral work for Llangwm Male Voice Choir.
Words by: Peredur Glyn.
- FFANFERAU GLYNDWR - 4 Brass Band Fanfares
for Prifysgol Glyndwr, Wrexham
- GOBAITH GLYNDWR- Choral & Brass Band commission for Prifysgol Glyndwr, Wrexham. Words by Peredur Glyn. Performed by Wrexham Brass, Jeremy Huw Williams, St Asaph Cathedral Choir and Mervyn Cousins (Organ).
- ‘Uchder’; full orchestral; 7mins.
- ‘The Quest’; full orchestra; 5mins.
- ‘Y Mor Celtaidd’; full orchestra; 7mins.
- ‘Y Gath a’r Golomen’; for Harp and Flute. [permiered by Deian Rowlands and Nicola Philips]
- ‘3 Darlun i’r Piano’; for Solo Piano. [permiered by Iwan Llewelyn Jones]
- ‘Delweddau Cudd’; for Solo Piano [permiered by Iwan Llewelyn Jones]
- ‘Yr Odl-Gudd’; for Piano Duet [permiered by Zöe Smith and Atushi Tamoura].
Music in Education projects
[Composer, Musical Director & Music Workshop Leader: Owain Llwyd]
- PAINTING MUSIC - Composing workshops with students from Ysgol David Hughes, Menai Bridge for Bangor New Music Festival 2011. With the ‘Painting Music’ ensemble.
- PROSPERO - Fantasy Opera - written with students from a secondary school in North Wales. Based on Shakespeare’s ‘Tempest’. Artists include: Jeremy Huw Williams (baritone), Claire Jones, Harpist to the Prince of Wales.
- HOUSE OF MEMORIES Film music with students from Ysgol Bryn Elian and Ysgol Y Plas. Based on their own film about Plas Newydd, Anglesey. Artists include: Claire Jones, Harpist to the Prince of Wales, and the Watahiki String Quartet.
- COFI OPERA - One Act Opera - written with children from a disadvantaged background. Artists include Prima Strings, Robyn Lyn (tenor), Llio Evans (soprano), beatboxer Ed Holden and poet Mei Mac.
- PINK SHIRTS - Film music with GCSE students from two schools. Based on a 1935 silent movie entitled 'Pink Shirts' scripted by Peter Fleming (brother of Ian Fleming, the Bond series writer). Artists include: Dewi Ellis Jones (percussionist).
- DOLGELLAU - Film music with GCSE students. Based on 1925 film footage of an ‘Eisteddfod’ provided by the National Screen Archive of Wales. Artists include O Duo (percussion duo).
Film / TV Projects
- ‘Worldliner’; Sci-Fi Short Film; (2007; Ethos Films, forthcoming)
- ‘THPW - Mc Saizmundo’; Documentary for S4/C; (2007; Ffilmiau Nant, forthcoming)
- ‘Pink Shirts’; Archive Film Footage from 1935; (2007; National Trust, Sky)
- ‘Charlie’; 3 minute piece for solo clarinet based on ‘The Adventurer’ by Charlie Chaplin (2007; Archive footage)
- ‘Clever Centrum’; TV Commercial for Centrum Multivitamins; (2006; ITV, Channel 4)
- ‘Hwyl yr Ŵyl’; Archive Film Footage from 1949; [performed by O Duo] (2006; Dolgellau Music Club, Arts Council of Wales)
- ‘Uchder’; full orchestral; 7mins. (2005)
- ‘The Quest’; full orchestra; 5mins. (2005)
- ‘Y Mor Celtaidd’; full orchestra; 7mins. (2005)
- ‘Y Gath a’r Golomen’; for Harp and Flute. [performed by Deian Rowlands and Nicola Philips] (2004)
- ‘3 Darlun i’r Piano’; for Solo Piano. [performed by Iwan Llewelyn Jones] (2004)
- ‘Delweddau Cudd’; for Solo Piano [performed by Iwan Llewelyn Jones] (2003)
- ‘Yr Odl-Gudd’; for Piano Duet [performed by Zöe Smith and Atushi Tamoura]. (2002)