Why study with us?
Why study at the School of Music?
- School Excellence Scholarships - Rewarding Academic Achievement: students who start a BA course in the Schools of Modern Languages & Cultures, Music, Philosophy & Religion or Welsh in September 2017 and 2018 will be eligible for an MA Scholarship. These scholarships will be available to UK, EU and International students who have completed a BA degree in one of these Schools in Bangor University; achieved a 2:1 or above, and gained a place on a one-year full-time Taught Masters programme based in one of the Schools above. BA students who graduate with a 1st class degree will automatically receive a full tuition fee waiver for the MA. BA students who graduate with a 2:1 degree will automatically receive a fee reduction, and pay £1,000 fees for the MA. For more information about these scholarships please contact: email@example.com.
- The quality of the teaching at the School of Music has consistently be rated as excellent. We scored 100% overall satisfaction in both the 2016 and the 2017 National Student Survey, placing us top in Wales and 1st in the UK among traditional music departments.
- We offer one of the largest number of options of any UK music department, covering every aspect of the subject. You can shape your degree course to reflect your interests and strengths.
- Much of the teaching is in small groups, providing a stimulating and supportive environment. The options include ensemble coaching and tuition in conducting, and a number of vocational modules such as Arts Administration.
- We offer fantastic music facilities. The school itself is located in a recently renovated Victorian villa with a range of teaching rooms, practice rooms and social spaces for our students. We also have two fine concert halls (in which weekly rehearsals are held in addition to concerts), and four electronic music studios equipped to the highest specifications
- We have six grand pianos, three harpsichords, two organs, and a full suite of orchestral percussion.
- Our music library contains 30,000 scores, 3,000 CDs, and an excellent collection of books on music, and is open 24 hours a day during term time.
- The School of Music is at the heart of the university campus, with easy access to libraries, cafés and restaurants. The University’s Arts and Innovation centre – Pontio - is less than 5 minutes’ walk away.
- We take advantage of our local area for the study of music in Welsh culture, and draw on the resources of our Archive of Traditional Welsh Music and our Welsh Pop Archive.
- We have a unique collection of over 300 world instruments.
- All of our staff have international research profiles and are experts in their fields. In the government’s recent Research Excellence Framework, 81% of our research was graded as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- Staff teach from their research specialisms, and so the course content is always at the cutting edge.
- We have excellent links with local and national employers, including Venue Cymru, Sain Records, the BBC, and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Our concert series is one of the most varied of any British university. It includes recitals by visiting artists, our resident ensembles, and concerts of electroacoustic music given by Electroacoustic Wales, alongside performances by students themselves.
Studying at Bangor
Rated Gold for teaching
We have been awarded a Gold rating, the highest rating possible, for the standarad of our teaching in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment. The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
A top 10 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities (excluding specialist institutions) for student satisfaction. This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Enjoy a university experience that’s amongst the best in the UK
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience (ranked in the top 20 in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey) with free membership of student clubs and societies, a new international experience programme and employability award scheme.
Award-winning clubs and societies!
Our clubs and societies have been named the best in the UK at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2017.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea - has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Investment in facilities
Benefit from continued investment in facilities and services – with an exciting new Arts and Innovation Centre, new Halls of Residence, and improved sports facilities amongst recent developments.
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply within the deadline and hold Bangor as a firm choice. Our accommodation has been rated in the Top 5 in the UK at the 2017 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.