Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Nia Whiteley
To provide an introduction to the structure and function of the respiratory, nervous, reproductive and endocrine systems of invertebrates and vertebrates. The module uses a comparative approach to compare and contrast key physiological systems across the Animal Kingdom.
The module will examine the physiological systems that have evolved in animals to facilitate respiratory gas exchange, and the co-ordination and control of challenges from the internal and external environment. The respiratory system is responsible for the transfer and transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide from the environment into the blood, and from the blood into the tissues. The rapid transfer around the body of information concerning both the external and internal environment and the control of complex functions, such as behaviour and memory, is the province of the nervous system, while longer term processes like growth and development, metabolism, metamorphosis and reproduction are under endocrine or neuro-endocrine control. Together these form a highly organised integrated system, designed to ensure the survival of the organism. This module examines the anatomy and functioning of the various divisions of the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems, and traces the relationship of the latter to the endocrine system through neuro-secretory cells. Comparisons are made across both invertebrates and vertebrates.
An excellent student should demonstrate a comprehensive factual knowledge, critical understanding of the underlying theory, evidence of extra reading of primary literature and the ability to integrate this extra knowledge in a relevant manner.
A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module, and be able to detail examples where appropriate. Written answers should demonstrate an ability to think critically about the subject and to synthesise lecture material and information from background reading.
A threshold student should have a basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts of the comparative physiology of respiratory, nerve, reproductive and endocrine systems of animals presented in the module. Written answers should demonstrate an ability to organise relevant lecture material into a coherent argument.
5 Outline the structure and the function of the nervous system: invertebrates vs vertebrates.
2 Outline the structure and the function of the respiratory system: invertebrates vs vertebrates.
10 Critically evaluate and analyse the results obtained and present the data is a suitable format.
4 Outline the structure and the function of the reproductive system: invertebrates vs vertebrates.
8 Discuss the role of hormones in the control of homeostasis, growth, metabolism, reproduction and development in both invertebrates and vertebrates.
11 Integrate information from a range of sources to discuss the data in the light of the information already present in the current literature base.
7 Discuss the underlying role of the nervous system in the co-ordination of behaviour, learning and memory.
3 Show knowledge of the means by which oxygen and carbon dioxide are transported to the tissues.
1 Review the organisation and evolution of the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems.
6 Show knowledge of the mechanisms involved during action potentials and synaptic transmission.
9 Obtain, interpret and synthesise information from background reading and use it to effectively supplement lecture notes.
|Practical Report 1||25|
|Practical Report 2||25|
|Final Exam (MCQ + Short Ans)||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Introduce students to integrative zoology by comparing and contrasting respiratory, nervous, reproductive and endocrine systems across taxa via a series of lectures.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Six h of practical work in total plus 2 x 1 h workshops to help students analyse and interpret the resulting data.
Independent study hours
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Available to the students via the library.
Animal Physiology. Eds Hill, Wyse and Anderson. Sinauer Associates. 2016. 828 pages.
Animal Physiology Adaptation and Environment. Knut Schmidt-Nielson. 5th Ed. Cambridge University Press.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C300: BSC Zoology year 2 (BSC/Z)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 2 (BSC/ZF)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 2 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 2 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 3 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 2 (MZOOL/ZOO)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 2 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 2 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (BSC/BIOT)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/BITE)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 2 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 2 (BSC/ZCC)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZCP)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (BSC/ZH)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 2 (BSC/ZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZPP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (BSC/ZR)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 2 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (MZOOL/AB)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 2 (MZOOL/CONS)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 3 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 2 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 2 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (MZOOL/ZR)