Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Lorrie Murphy
To give students a sufficient chemical background to enable them to confidently study their main chosen subject area.
This course comprises a balanced introduction to chemistry underpinning to Environmental/Ocean Sciences. Topics covered in the lectures include: atomic structure and bonding, moles and mole calculations, chemical equilibria, acids, bases and pH and buffers, rate of reaction and basic organic chemistry (introduction to functional groups and some important reactions, isomerism, and nomenclature). The course is backed up by problem solving classes.
Dr L Murphy (24 lectures)
RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS ESSENTIAL READING - Specified sections of Chemistry: Atoms First Free PDF Text Book From OpenStax
RECOMMENDED READING: Chemistry: human activity, chemical reactivity by Peter Mahaffy et al.
OPTIONAL READING: Chemistry (Palgrave Foundations Series): By Rhobert Lewis and Wynne Evans
SPECIFIC RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS FOR STUDENTS - None
Threshold (40%). Knowledge and understanding of the content covered in the course is basic; Problems of a routine nature are generally adequately solved; Transferable skills are at a basic level
Good (~60%). Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the programme and shows good evidence of enquiry beyond this. Conceptual understanding is good. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved in a logical manner; solutions are generally correct and acceptable. Performance in transferable skills is sound and shows no significant deficiencies.
Excellent (>70%). Knowledge base is extensive and extends well beyond the work covered in the programme. Conceptual understanding is outstanding. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved with efficiency and accuracy; problem-solving procedures are adjusted to the nature of the problem. Performance in transferable skills is generally very good
Students should be able to demonstrate the use of 'the mole' in chemistry.
Students should be able to name organic compounds using IUPAC nomenclature; draw chemical structures using full, condensed and skeletal style, identify main functional groups in organic compounds, and demonstrate knowledge of basic chemical reactions associated with important organic functional groups
Students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the nature of acids, bases and salts and measurement of pH
Students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of reaction rates
Students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of atomic structure, the forms of interactions between atoms and molecules
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study 76 hours
The module has 24 one-hour lecture slots scheduled at 2 lectures a week and these will contain some problem solving classes. Contact time 24 hours.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- PS3 Problem-solving skills, relating to qualitative and quantitative information
- SK2 Demonstrate a systematic understanding of fundamental physicochemical principles with the ability to apply that knowledge to the solution of theoretical and practical problems
- SK3 Gain knowledge of a range of inorganic and organic materials
- PS16 The ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-skilled teams
- CC1 the ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts,concepts,principles and theories relating to theSubject areasCovered in theirProgramme
- CC2 the ability to applysuch knowledge and understanding to thesolution of qualitative and quantitativeProblems that are mostly of a familiar nature
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F842: BSc Marine Geography year 1 (BSC/MARG)