Update on theatre delay

Following last week’s announcement regarding the delay in the opening of the theatre in Pontio, and a further review of the building schedule, Bangor University regretfully has to announce that there will be no productions staged at the Pontio building until 15 October at the earliest.

Although the series of ‘celebratory opening week events’ from 15th to 19th October have not at this stage been rescheduled, the University is concerned that the building may still not be ready in time. The University is continuing to review the situation with the building contractor, Miller, and will make a further announcement in due course.

Chair of Pontio’s Arts Advisory Board, Bangor University’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor Professor Jerry Hunter said:

“I am concerned at the continuing delays that are forcing us to cancel performances to the disappointment of us all. The building was due to be completed in sections, with the first section to be ready by August 22nd, however we are still waiting for this work to be finished by Miller.”

“Everyone who has bought tickets for performances up to 14 October will receive a full refund. In addition, to compensate for the inconvenience, customers will be given a £5 gift voucher to use against any other performance in the Theatre. Pontio box office staff will be in touch with customers directly. We are however hoping to reschedule Theatr Bara Caws’ production, Garw, this October.

“We would like to thank ticket holders and all the performing arts companies for their cooperation and we very much share their disappointment.

“As was explained last week, the detailed discussions with the contractor regarding the opening date will take time. Only when these are completed will we be able to confirm the revised opening date.

“I would like to reiterate what was said last week in that there are certainly lessons to be learnt from this, but our priority at this moment is on working with the contractor to complete the building, and deliver a high quality artistic opening programme. As soon as we have our revised schedule we will make a further announcement.”

Publication date: 9 September 2014