Bangor University Policies
Finding a Bangor University Policy, Procedure or Guidance Note
- A-Z list of Policies, Procedures and Guidance
- Policy, Procedure or Guidance by Intended Audience or Theme:
The aim of this site is to provide a repository for University policies. A University policy is defined as one with broad application throughout the University, that helps ensure coordinated compliance with applicable laws and regulations; promotes operational efficiencies; enhances the University’s mission; and reduces institutional risk. This site includes Policies, Procedures and other associated documentation approved by Council or by delegated authorities, such as Guidelines, Regulations, Codes of Practice, Frameworks, Standards and Schemes.
Many important College, School, Department or Central Service policies serve similar purposes but are unit-specific and are not included on this site. The University’s Colleges, Schools, Departments or Central Services should link to this site rather than create their own pages with University policies. This will help ensure that everyone in the University is referencing the most current versions of policies.
This web site is a work in progress. Under the banner of the University’s Strategic Alliance with Aberystwyth University, we are working together on further developing the Bangor Policy Library in order to provide a centralised online system for University policies and procedures at both institutions. This work is being overseen by a Project Group.
The goals of the policy project are to:
- standardise policy format;
- eliminate out-of-date and duplicate information;
- improve organisation, accessibility, search, and navigation; and
- clarify processes for submitting new policies and revising existing policies.
The project will provide individuals responsible for preparing, disseminating and implementing policies with:
- a clear definition as to what is meant by policy and procedure;
- a standard and flexible format to ensure consistency in formulating policies and procedures and a corporate format;
- clarity regarding ownership, approval and review procedures; and
- advice on drafting policies which will be unambiguous and readily understood
An online centralised repository for institutional policies, procedures and associated metadata will:
- facilitate easy access to key documents for staff and students;
- ensure version control; facilitate monitoring and review of key documents;
- be a tool for quality assurance – institutional approval and legislative compliance;
- assist with internal and external auditing requirements e.g. the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW);
- be a key benefit for Freedom of Information compliance; and
- allow a match with the policy register currently being established at Aberystwyth University
The Common Policy on Writing and Approval of University Policies and Procedures and the online centralised system adopted by Aberystwyth and Bangor Universities is a resource:
- to explain the policy on formulating and approving University policies and procedures
- to provide an overview of the documentation required
- which includes a policy an procedure template to ensure that all policy components are recorded in a consistent manne
Mission of the Strategic Alliance:
The mission of the Aberystwyth-Bangor Strategic Alliance is to continually develop the strong and close working partnership between the two institutions which enables us to operate more effectively and efficiently than as entirely separate institutions, and supports our drive to be internationally excellent in specified areas of activity.
If you are aware of a University Policy, Procedure or Guidance Note which is not currently included in the Register please contact Gwenan Hine in the Compliance Unit