Dr Dusana Dorjee
School of Psychology,
Tel: +44 (0) 1248 388842
Mgr. (includes BA and MA), Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
MA, PhD, University of Arizona, Tucson.
My research investigates neurocognitive and psychophysiological changes resulting from contemplative training (meditation) in the context of well-being across the lifespan. Specifically, I have been examining the impact of meditation, mostly mindfulness, on systems of cognitive control, attention, emotion regulation and conceptual processing both longitudinally and in cross-sectional studies. I investigate how neuroscientific research on contemplative practices can inform prevention of mental illness, psychotherapy and well-being enhancement across the lifespan. I am particularly interested in possible preventive effects of mindfulness on mental and physical health in children and adolescents. My research combines psychophysiological methods, mainly event-related brain potentials (ERPs), with behavioural and self-report measures.
Dr Dusana Dorjee is a member of the Clinical, Health, & Behavioural Psychology research group.
- Hutchinson, JK, Huws, J & Dorjee, D 2018, 'Exploring experiences of children in applying a school-based mindfulness programme to their lives' Journal of Child and Family Studies, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 3935-3951. DOI: 10.1007/s10826-018-1221-2
- Sanger, K, Thierry, G & Dorjee, D 2018, 'Effects of school-based mindfulness training on emotion processing and well-being in adolescents: Evidence from event-related potentials' Developmental Science, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. e12646. DOI: 10.1111/desc.12646
- Ruijgrok-Lupton, PE, Crane, R & Dorjee, D 2018, 'Impact of Mindfulness-Based Teacher Training on MBSR Participant Wellbeing Outcomes and Course Satisfaction' Mindfulness, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 117-128. DOI: 10.1007/s12671-017-0750-x
- Dorjee, D 2017, Neuroscience and Psychology of Meditation in Everyday Life: Searching for the Essence of Mind. first edn, Routledge.
- Kaunhoven, R & Dorjee, D 2017, 'How does mindfulness modulate self-regulation in preadolescent children? An integrative neurocognitive review' Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 74, no. Part A, pp. 163-184. DOI: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2017.01.007
- Sanger, KL & Dorjee, D 2016, 'Mindfulness training with adolescents enhances metacognition and the inhibition of irrelevant stimuli: Evidence from event-related brain potentials' Trends in Neuroscience and Education, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1-11. DOI: 10.1016/j.tine.2016.01.001
- Vickery, CE & Dorjee, D 2016, 'Mindfulness training in primary schools decreases negative affect and increases meta-cognition in children' Frontiers in Psychology. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.02025
- Sanger, K & Dorjee, D 2015, 'Mindfulness training for adolescents: A neurodevelopmental perspective on investigating modifications in attention and emotion regulation using event-related brain potentials' Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 696-711. DOI: 10.3758/s13415-015-0354-7
- Dorjee, D, Lally, N, Darrall-Rew, J & Thierry, G 2015, 'Dispositional mindfulness and semantic integration of emotional words: Evidence from event-related brain potentials' Neuroscience Research, vol. 97, pp. 45-51. DOI: 10.1016/j.neures.2015.03.002
- Bennett, K & Dorjee, D 2015, 'The Impact of a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course (MBSR) on Well-Being and Academic Attainment of Sixth-form Students' Mindfulness, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 105-114. DOI: 10.1007/s12671-015-0430-7
- Dorjee, D 2013, Mind, Brain and the Path to Happiness: A guide to Buddhist mind training and the neuroscience of meditation. Routledge.
- Dorjee, D, Garrett, MF & Harnish, RM 2013, 'Mandatory Processing of Implied Content: Lessons from Context Effects on Implicitures' International Review of Pragmatics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 217-232. DOI: 10.1163/18773109-13050204
- Dorjee, D & Bowers, JS 2012, 'What can fMRI tell us about the locus of learning?' Cortex, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 509-514. DOI: 10.1016/j.cortex.2011.06.016
- Wu, Y, Athanassiou, S, Dorjee, D, Roberts, M & Thierry, G 2012, 'Brain Potentials Dissociate Emotional and Conceptual Cross-Modal Priming of Environmental Sounds' Cerebral Cortex, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 577-583. DOI: 10.1093/cercor/bhr128
- Damian, M, Dorjee, D & Stadhagen-Gonzalez, H 2011, 'Long-term repetition priming in spoken and written word production: Evidence for a contribution of phonology to handwriting' Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 813-826. DOI: 10.1037/a0023260
- Dorjee, D, Devenney, L & Thierry, G 2010, 'Written words supersede pictures in priming semantic access: a P300 study' Neuroreport, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 887-891. DOI: 10.1097/WNR.0b013e32833da46a
- Dorjee, D 2010, 'Kinds and Dimensions of Mindfulness: Why it is Important to Distinguish Them' Mindfulness, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 152-160. DOI: 10.1007/s12671-010-0016-3
- Dorjee, D, Rybarova, D & Fava, E (ed.) 2002, Specific language impairment and modularity: Linguistic and non-linguistic explanations. in Clinical Linguistics: Theory and applications in speech pathology and therapy. 2002 edn, John Benjamins, pp. 213-227.