Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information

Employment Information

National Minimum Wage (NMW)

For information on current National Minimum Wage rates visit

Paying Income Tax

For more information please visit GOV.UK- Student Jobs: Paying Tax


National Insurance (NI) Number

  • To work in the UK you will need a National Insurance number.
  • If you do not have an NI number, you will need to apply for one if you are applying for paid work. To obtain a National Insurance number telephone 0845 6000 643 (if you are partially sighted, have hearing difficulties or require additional assistance telephone 0845 6000 644).
  • For further information please read our Obtaining a National Insurance Number information sheet.

International Students

Many International students are entitled to do some part-time work whilst they study in the UK . However, this is not the case for every international student, and even if you are permitted to work, there are certain restrictions on the type of work you can take and the number of hours you can work. For further information contact the International Education Centre .

Employment Rights

For current information on your employment rights you can visit: 

Find out about Working HoursHolidays and Holiday Pay, Rest Breaks and more.