School of Social Sciences
Why study at the School of Social Sciences?
- The School of Social Sciences is ranked amongst the top 20 in the UK for research, according to the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
- We’re ranked among the Top 10 universities in the UK - and top in Wales - for Social Policy according to the Complete University Guide for 2019.
- Social Policy at Bangor is ranked 7th in the UK for student satisfaction with feedback and assessment, and 6th for graduate employment within 6 months of graduating (Guardian University Guide 2018).
- Established in 1884, Bangor University is one of the oldest and most prestigious degree-awarding institutions in the UK.
University was awarded the Gold standard in the UK Government’s new Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF 2017) – the only university in Wales to achieve this standard.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, 77% of the research undertaken by Bangor University was rated in the top two tiers of research quality, ahead of the average for all UK universities.
- Bangor University was ranked 12th in the UK – and top in Wales – for student experience in the 2017 Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey.
- Bangor University is ranked amongst the UK top 10 (excluding 'specialist' institutions) for student satisfaction (National Students Survey 2017).
- We’re ranked no.1 in Wales for overall student satisfaction in the subject area of Sociology (NSS 2016).
- Bangor University is
1st in the UK for clubs and societies, 3rd for courses & lecturers and giving back, and top 5 for accommodation (What Uni Student Choice Awards 2017).
- Bangor has also been rated as 3rd in the UK for University of the Year in a poll of student reviews (What Uni Student Choice Awards 2017).
- Bangor University is
ranked 118th in the world for international outlook (Times Higher Education World Rankings 2017)
- Our staff undertake research of national and international reputation and have written major text books and articles published in top academic journals.
- Students from countries worldwide attend the School of Social Sciences for undergraduate, masters and research training, creating a dynamic learning environment.
- We aim to provide a friendly, supportive and stimulating learning environment, supplemented by contributions from practitioners in the statutory, voluntary and independent sectors.
- Undergraduate degree structure is flexible enough to offer a range of specialisms and breadth of choice.
- We have a long history of high quality social work education and a long-standing, strong and effective partnership with social service agencies in North Wales.
- Under our personal tutor scheme, a member of lecturing staff will monitor the student’s academic progress and will offer help, advice and support on an individual basis.
- Our Centre for Careers and Opportunities Careers is recognised nationally as being one of the most active careers services in the UK.
- We guarantee all first year undergraduate students a place in our halls of residence (provided they accept their offer by a specified date).