MSc Programmes - Places available now...
MSc Programmes Overview
The School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences has over 15 years of experience delivering MScs. The programmes have been designed to be flexible and relevant to the individual needs and interests of students, with a strong emphasis on the application of theory to professional practice. Within a modular structure students undertake core modules in Research Skills and choose from a number of optional modules according to the programme chosen. Supervised Experience*, an Independent Study, and a Dissertation relevant to the programme are also undertaken.
* This module prepares students for the first year of British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences Supervisory Experience.
There are six pathways:
- Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology (MSc)
- Applied Sport Science and Outdoor Activities
- Sport and Exercise Psychology (MSc)**
** British Psychological Society accredited.
We are proud to have been the first UK Sport Science School to gain BPS postgraduate professional training accreditation for this MSc programme.
Some other things you may not know about our MSc programmes:
- All MScs have a very strong emphasis on the application of knowledge, through the 'Supervised Experience' module and the case-study approach to a number of assessments.
"The idea of the students being asked to develop a portfolio of information throughout the module [Research Skills] and then being vivaed on their knowledge seems particularly commendable to me. First, the students are developing a resource that will be of use to them throughout their academic career and, second, the use of the viva would seem to promote and encourage a deeper form of learning..."
Iain Greenlees, External Examiner MSc/MRes Programmes
- Research project work provides an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience and can lead to work being published.
- Students are taught and supervised (applied practice and research) by internationally recognised researchers (ALL staff are research active).
- The Graduate Assistantship Scheme and Supervised Experience module provide an outstanding opportunity to develop professionally.
- MSc/MRes programmes are an excellent stepping stone to a PhD and well paid career pathway.