Staff Profile of Ross Roberts
- Ross Roberts
- Senior Lecturer, Director of Masters Programmes
- (01248) 38 8137
- Padarn Building, Normal Site
Research Group Membership
Watch Dr Ross Roberts' video profile, here
BSc (Hons) Sports Science
MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
PhD Sport Psychology
BASES accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist
BPS Chartered Psychologist
HPC Registered Sport and Exercise Psychologist
Bangor University Teaching Fellow
Associate Fellow British Psychological Society
JXH2016 – Research Methods (Computational Statistics), Module Leader
JXH2036 Applied Sport Psychology
JXH3034 – Personality and Individual Differences
JXH4005 – Exercise Psychology
Personality and performance; psychological skills; pseudoneglect and motor skill performance
- Divine, A., Roberts, R., & Hall, C. R. (in press): Revisiting the exercise imagery and exercise-dependence relationship. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Roberts, R., & Woodman, T. (2016). Personality and performance: Beyond the Big 5. In Schinke, R., McGannon, K.R. & Smith, B. (Eds). Routledge international handbook of sport psychology (pp. 401-411). London: Routledge.
- Ong, C. W., Roberts, R., Arthur, C. A., Woodman, T, & Akehurst, S. (2016). The leader ship is sinking: A temporal investigation of narcissistic leadership. Journal of Personality, 84, 237-247.
- Roberts, R., & Woodman, T. (2015). Contemporary personality perspectives in sport psychology. In S. Hanton and S. Mellalieu (Eds). Contemporary advances in sport psychology: A review (pp 1-27). Oxford UK: Routledge.
- Roberts, R., Woodman, T., Lofthouse, S., & Williams, L. (2015). Not all athletes are equally motivated: The role of narcissism. European Journal of Sports Sciences, 15, 536-542.
- Callow, N., Roberts, R., Hardy, L., Jiang, D., & Edwards, M. (2013). Performance improvements from imagery: Evidence that internal visual imagery is superior to external visual imagery for slalom performance. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 7, 697.
- Lawrence G. P., Callow, N., & Roberts, R. (2013). Watch me if you can: imagery ability moderates observational learning effectiveness. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 7, 522.
- Roberts, R., Rotheram, M., Maynard, I., Thomas, O., & Woodman, T. (2013). Perfectionism and the ‘yips’: An initial investigation. The Sport Psychologist, 27, 53-61.
- Roberts, R., Woodman, T., Hardy, L., Davis, L., & Wallace, H. W. (2013). Psychological skills do not always help performance: The moderating role of narcissism. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 25, 316-325.
- Woodman, T., Roberts, R., Hardy, L., Callow, N., & Rogers, C. H. (2011). There is an “I” in TEAM: narcissism and social loafing. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 82, 285-290.
- Roberts, R., Callow, N., Hardy L., Woodman, T., & Thomas, L. (2010). Interactive effects of different visual imagery perspectives and narcissism on motor performance. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 32, 499-517.
- Roberts, R., & Turnbull, O. H. (2010). Putts that get missed on the right: Investigating lateralized attentional biases and the nature of putting errors in golf. Journal of Sports Sciences, 28, 361-367
- Hardy, L., Roberts, R., Thomas, P. R., & Murphy, S. M. (2010). Test of performance strategies: Instrument refinement using confirmatory factor analysis. Psychology of Sport & Exercise, 11, 27-35.
- Hardy, J., Roberts, R., & Hardy, L. (2009). Awareness and motivation to change negative self-talk. The Sport Psychologist, 23, 435-450.
- Roberts, R., Callow, N., Hardy, L., Markland, D., & Bringer, J. (2008). Movement imagery ability: Development and assessment of a revised version of the Vividness of Movement Imagery Questionnaire. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 30, 200-221.
External Funding and Awards
- August 2016 – Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarship II (£49,438), “Developing excellence in outdoor provision” Principal Investigator
- June 2015- Rugby Football Union (£106,000), “The development of super elite performance” Co-investigator
- March 2013 – Ministry of Defence, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (£168,174), “Neurocognitive processes underpinning different aspects of Mental Resilience. Co-investigator.
- May 2009 – Sports Council for Wales, “Coach behaviours, psychological skills and training behaviours” (£34,350). Co-principal investigator.
- April 2009 – Wellcome Trust student vacation bursary (£1,500), “Effects of imagery use and perfectionism on social physique anxiety and exercise behaviour in female exercisers”. Principal investigator.
- June 2007 – Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network (£5,000), “Effects of an imagery intervention on student verbal presentation performance”. Co-investigator.
- January 2002 – OV Jones bursary (£1,500), “The effects of motivational imagery in a controlled exercise setting”. Co-Principal investigator.
- Bet you think this talk is about you: Narcissism in performance contexts. Invited presentation Western University, Canada, February 2015.
- Psychological effects of the outdoors: Implications for educators. Opening keynote presentation at 3rd Annual Outdoor Education Conference, Plas Y Brenin, June 2014.
- Invited to present at the 1st Irish performance climbing and coaching seminar, Tollymore National Mountaineering Centre, 28-30 March 2008.
- Imagery research 2003-2007: Bangor and SCW collaborations. Invited presentation at the South Wales Sport Psychology Peer Development Group meeting, Cardiff, 13 February 2008.
Editorial Boards and Peer reviewing
Editorial board member The Sport Psychologist
Invited reviewer for international journals including Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, Journal of Sports Sciences, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology, International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
Hobbies and interests
Fell running, climbing, playing the piano, (and being a dad!)