Staff Profile of Ross Roberts
- Ross Roberts
- Senior Lecturer, Director of Masters Programmes
- (01248) 38 8137
- G206 George Building, Normal Site
Research Group Membership
Watch Dr Ross Roberts' video profile, here
BSc (Hons) Sports Science
MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
PhD Sport Psychology
BPS Chartered Psychologist
HPC Registered Sport and Exercise Psychologist
Bangor University Teaching Fellow
Associate Fellow British Psychological Society
JXH2016 – Research Methods (Computational Statistics), Module Leader
JXH2036 Applied Sport Psychology
JXH3034 – Personality and Individual Differences
JXH4005 – Exercise Psychology
Personality and performance; psychological skills; pseudoneglect and motor skill performance
Please visit the publications page of Dr Ross Roberts to view recent publications.
External Funding and Awards
- August 2016 – Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarship II (£49,438), “Developing excellence in outdoor provision” Principal Investigator
- June 2015- Rugby Football Union (£106,000), “The development of super elite performance” Co-investigator
- March 2013 – Ministry of Defence, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (£168,174), “Neurocognitive processes underpinning different aspects of Mental Resilience. Co-investigator.
- May 2009 – Sports Council for Wales, “Coach behaviours, psychological skills and training behaviours” (£34,350). Co-principal investigator.
- April 2009 – Wellcome Trust student vacation bursary (£1,500), “Effects of imagery use and perfectionism on social physique anxiety and exercise behaviour in female exercisers”. Principal investigator.
- June 2007 – Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network (£5,000), “Effects of an imagery intervention on student verbal presentation performance”. Co-investigator.
- January 2002 – OV Jones bursary (£1,500), “The effects of motivational imagery in a controlled exercise setting”. Co-Principal investigator.
- Bet you think this talk is about you: Narcissism in performance contexts. Invited presentation Western University, Canada, February 2015.
- Psychological effects of the outdoors: Implications for educators. Opening keynote presentation at 3rd Annual Outdoor Education Conference, Plas Y Brenin, June 2014.
- Invited to present at the 1st Irish performance climbing and coaching seminar, Tollymore National Mountaineering Centre, 28-30 March 2008.
- Imagery research 2003-2007: Bangor and SCW collaborations. Invited presentation at the South Wales Sport Psychology Peer Development Group meeting, Cardiff, 13 February 2008.
Editorial Boards and Peer reviewing
Editorial board member The Sport Psychologist
Invited reviewer for international journals including Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, Journal of Sports Sciences, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology, International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
Hobbies and interests
Fell running, climbing, playing the piano, (and being a dad!)