Disability - Prospective students

Please choose from one of the links below for information:

Guidance for disabled students thinking about studying in higher education

Into Higher Education 2017

Into Higher Education is a guide for disabled students thinking about studying in higher education. It deals with common questions such as whether the college or university will be accessible, how to choose a course and what support will be available.

Disability Rights UK also provides Education Factsheets and a Disabled Students helpline

University: choosing and applying

Useful guidance from the National Autistic Society (NAS).

Chemistry student Daniel Jones, an experienced ‘vlogger’, has recently contributed to Bangor University‘s own ‘Getting Ready for University’ channel on YouTube:

Worries about Starting University with Aspergers (ASD):


The channel also has short films on everything from cooking on a budget and making friends to how to apply to University, from some of the University’s own staff and students, who provide the best advice and top tips:

Get Ready For University:

Advice on preparing for University on the Get Ready for University YouTube channel.


Including disability-related information on your UCAS form or Postgraduate application form.

It’s really important to include information about your impairment, long-standing health condition or specific learning difference on your UCAS form or Postgraduate application form.  Once we have this information, we will contact you to find out what individual reasonable adjustments and support requirements you may have.  View the video on UCAS TV - Disability Support from Disability Officers or contact Disability Services for further information.


Can support be arranged before I arrive?

Ideally, yes.  We encourage prospective students to contact us to discuss their requirements.  We write to all students who include disability-related information on the application form and provide information on funding and the support we can provide.  Where necessary, we can guide students through the admissions process and help them apply for funding as well as liaise with their department, Social Services and other sources of support.

In the summer, we ask prospective students to complete an online registration form and provide us with documentary evidence of disability.  You will also be asked to sign a Release of Information form.  For information on how we share disability-related information, please see our confidentiality policy.  Once we have received this information, we will draft a Personal Learning Support Plan. 

Ideally, we will be able to do this in time for your first week of lectures, but this will depend on how soon we receive the information from you, or the Assessment Centre if you have had a study needs assessment for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA.) The main thing is for you to keep in touch with us - this way, we can ensure your support is in place as soon as possible.


UK Students

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) pay for extra costs that UK students may have as a direct result of having a disability, long-term health condition, mental health difficulty or specific learning difference.  For further information, see Bridging the Gap.  A Disabled Students' Allowance Assessment can be carried out before the start of your course. It is important that you apply for DSA as soon as possible so that support can be put into place before you start your course.  See Key Steps in applying for DSA for further information. Information on DSAs for NHS-funded students can be found here.

British Sign Language users may be interested in seeing  the following video: Applying for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)  - Film with British Sign Language.


You may be interested to hear that recent research shows that disabled students who receive Disabled Students’ Allowances get better final grades than those who choose to go it alone, without asking for or accepting support.

Students not entitled to DSA funding.

The University has a small fund to pay for additional support costs for those students who are not eligible for the UK Disabled Students' Allowances.  Students will need to provide supporting evidence of disability and will be required to undergo a study needs assessment, which may involve their School/Department.  Students are advised to apply for this fund from the Disability Service at the earliest possible opportunity.  For further information, contact Disability Services.

Documentary evidence

So that we can put in place any support requirements you may have, we advise you take steps now to ensure you have up-to-date documentary evidence.  This can be an Educational Psychologist report; a report from a Specialist Teacher with a Practising Certificate; a letter from a specialist teacher/assessor written whilst you were at School or College confirming any examination adjustments you may have been given or a letter from a doctor or other medical practitioner. You will also need this documentation in order that certain adjustments or arrangements can be put in place (e.g. Halls accommodation, exam arrangements, parking permit).

Are you on prescribed medication?

If you need to take medicine prescribed by your doctor on a regular basis, you will need to bring at least one month’s supply with you to University.  One month is usually sufficient notice for local pharmacies to order medication that they do not normally keep in stock.

All students should register with a local doctor (General Practitioner) as soon as possible.  Information on doctors’ surgeries and details of special student health services can be found here.