Students from Ireland
Why choose Bangor for your studies?
An historic institution
Founded in 1884, dedicated to academic excellence for more than 130 years, Bangor University is one of the oldest and most prestigious degree awarding institutions in the UK. Find out more
Gold rated teaching
Bangor University has achieved a Gold Award, the highest rating possible, in the national Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). Bangor University is the only university in Wales to achieve this standard.
The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
Highly rated courses and lecturers
We offer hundreds of courses across the arts and the sciences. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching and our courses and lecturers were rated third in the UK at the What Uni Student Choice Awards 2017.
Bangor has been rated amongst the top 10 universities in the UK for student satisfaction (NSS 2017) and our teaching quality and research are also highly rated.
High standard of student accommodation
Bangor University’s accommodation was rated as the best in the UK at the What Uni Student Choice Awards 2016. We guarantee accommodation for first year students studying at our Bangor campus who select Bangor as their Firm Choice and apply before the given deadline.
All our accommodation is within walking distance of the main University buildings and the city centre and the majority of our halls ar en-suite. Students living in our halls of residence receive free gym and Campus Life membership.
Careers and Employability
Our Careers and Employability Service has the resources you need to further your career ambitions.
Our initiatives include the Bangor Employability Award, Internships, Work Placements and Enterprise Schemes. We also have a Bangor Prospects Student Employment Bureau to help you find work alongside your studies.
According to the DLHE survey (2015/16) 92% of our graduates progressed to employment or further study within six months of graduation.
We place a high priority on caring for and supporting our students and were rated one of the top five universities in the UK for student support (What Uni Student Choice Awards 2016).
Our Student Services centre has specialist advisers who can help with disability matters, dyslexia support, mental health, counselling, student housing and money support.
If you are looking to study an Undergraduate Degree at Bangor University most of our courses are completed within 3 years and the academic year begins in September and is split into 2 Semesters. Some Healthcare science courses also have new intakes starting their academic year in spring.
Entry Requirements For Undergraduate Degrees
For entry onto the first year of our 3 or 4 year undergraduate / Bachelor degree programmes we ask for a school leaving qualification which is equivalent to the British School leaving qualification (A-levels / International Baccalaureate). Our courses all have varying entry requirements which are based on the UCAS tariff system.
UCAS Tariff Points for Leaving Certificate (Final Award 2016)
UCAS Tariff Points for Leaving Certificate (First Award 2017)
FETAC Level 5 awards can be considered for entry on an individual basis.
How much will I pay to study at Bangor?
Eligible EU Undergraduate students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the fee charged by their university or college. This means they won’t have to pay for tuition fees up front.
Students studying at Bangor University can apply for:
- Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,000
The Tuition Fee Loan is paid direct to the Bangor University by the Student Loans Company in 3 instalments each academic year.
Costs for Bachelor of Nursing / Midwifery / Radiography Degrees are covered by the NHS.
To apply for the Tuition Fee Loan and Grant students can download an application form.
The application forms will be available from April 2018.
Additional Financial Support
As you would expect from a university that places great emphasis on student support, Bangor is keen to offer extra financial help to students. Bursaries and scholarships worth over £3.7M are available for new and returning students in September 2018.
The Bangor Bursary means you could receive up to £3000 in extra financial help over the duration of a three-year course. Bangor bursaries are available on top of any state-funded maintenance grants and loans, as well as any other University bursaries you may be eligible for.
Your eligibility for a Bangor bursary depends on:
- Your household income: all those with a household income below £40,000 will get a bursary.
- The course you are studying; you must be studying a full-time undergraduate course with a tuition fee of £9,000 payable to Bangor University.
- Depending on household income and the subject area studied, some PGCE students will also be eligible to receive Bangor bursaries. This will apply to PGCE students who are not eligible for ITT training grants.
- That you registered and in attendance 14 days prior to the particular bursary payment date.
|Students Taxable Household income||Annual Bursary award|
|£25,000 or less||£1,000|
|£25,001 – £40,000||£500|
|£40,000 or more||£0.00|
The bursaries are available to students from all parts of the EU and do NOT have to be paid back.
Students in receipt of other bursary payments (e.g. NHS, Health & Social Care Council) will not be eligible for the bursaries scheme.
To apply for the Bangor Bursary student must complete a Bursary form, which is available from the Student Finance EU Team. You can request a form by telephoning the EU Team as soon as your tuition loan has been approved.
Student Finance EU Team: 0141 243 3570
Applications for undergraduate degrees must be submitted through UCAS (The University and Colleges Admissions Service) – www.ucas.com
UCAS is an online application system allowing students to apply for up to five courses in the UK through one application.
You can apply for more than one programme at a specific university, for example you could apply to study BA Psychology and BSc Psychology with Clinical and Health Psychology at Bangor. To help you with your UCAS application, take a look at the useful information we’ve put together.
- Awarded Gold rating for Teaching Excellence – TEF 2017
- World ranking 109th for International Outlook – Times Higher Education World Ranking 2018
- Top 15 UK University for Teaching Quality – The Times and Sunday Times League Table 2018
- Top 10 UK University for Student Satisfaction – National Student Survey 2017
- Top 10 UK University for Student Experience – The Times and Sunday Times League Table 2018
- Top 5 UK university for Academic Experience – THE Student Survey 2017
Careers and Employability
- Top 10 UK University for Job Prospects – WhatUni 2017
- 92% of our graduates progressed to employment or further study within six months of graduation – DLHE survey 2015/16
- Many courses help strengthen career prospects through;
- Work placements: students are provided with a variety of options for work experience – either within the degree, through University internships or by volunteering.
- Industry partnerships: Some degrees are run in partnership with the industry such as Teacher Training, Nursing and Social Work.
- Professional accreditations: to help develop students’ careers, many of the degrees are accredited by professional bodies of global repute, such as IBMS, ACCA, CIMA, CIM, RSC, BCS, BPS, IET, ICF, SRA, and NMC.
Cost of Study
- Scholarships worth over £1M are available for international students. Find out more
- Among the most inexpensive places to live in the UK – The A-Z of Universities and Higher Education Colleges
- Top 5 UK University for ‘Student support’ – WhatUni 2017
- Free English language support for international students throughout the year
- Dedicated team to handle international student concerns ranging from visa, accommodation, health, money matters, and employment
- Free of cost writing and skills workshops for students, for confidential writing, study skills, time management, and numeracy/statistics support
- Ranked 1st in the UK for ‘Clubs and Societies’ – WhatUni 2017
- Top 5 UK University for student accommodation – WhatUni 2017
- Top 12 in the UK for university accommodation – THE Student Survey 2017
- Guaranteed accommodation for new international students
- £35 million investment in student accommodation halls
- Conveniently located within a 15 minute walk from the lecture halls and also the city centre
- Student village comprising of sports facilities, laundry, café, bar, shops and 24 hour security
- Variety of room options available; En-Suite, Studios, Townhouses, Standard, and Budget
- Top 10 UK university for good security – THE Student Survey 2017
- Coastal town situated near to the Snowdonia mountains.
- Close to major cities like London (3.5 hrs), Manchester (1.5 hrs) and Liverpool (1.5 hrs)
- Top 15 UK University for sports facilities – THE Student Survey 2017
- £67m invested on campus redevelopment and a further £48m on a new Arts and Innovation Centre (Pontio).
- 160+ buildings, 23 academic departments offering 200+ Undergraduate courses and 150+ Postgraduate courses offered over January and September intakes.