Student Finance

Tuition Fees

The latest information on the fees for the current year will be found on our Student Finance pages.

For UK students, the tuition fee payment is a deferred payment - i.e. you don’t have to pay the tuition fee until you graduate and start earning over £21,000 a year. You defer payment of your tuition fee until after you graduate through a tuition fee loan. The tuition fee loan is paid directly to the University by the Student Loans Company on your behalf.

Students from Wales or the rest of the EU (outside UK)

Students from Wales and the rest of the EU (outside the UK) studying for their first degree can apply for a fee grant from the Welsh Government. Based on 2015 figures, this means students from Wales (and EU students from outside the UK) could be eligible for:

  • a tuition fee loan of £3,810, which you start paying back once you earn over £21,000 a year.
  • a non-repayable tuition fee grant of £5,190 from the Welsh Government

Living Costs

Students from the UK can apply for a living cost loan to help pay for living expenses such as accommodation, food, books etc. These loans do not have to be repaid until you graduate and start earning more than £21,000 a year.

For students from England and Wales, non- repayable means-tested maintenance grants are also available to help support you – how much you get will depend on your household income and where you live. Extra financial support is also available in the form of grants or allowances for some categories of students, e.g. disabled students, those with dependents.

Welfare Benefits

If you are claiming benefits before starting University, these could be affected once you are a student. Seek advice before starting University. Some people are eligible for certain benefits as a student, e.g. single parents are eligible for Housing Benefit. For advice about benefits contact the Money Support Unit (at Student Services) or contact your local Benefits Office.

Part-time Students

You may be eligible to get financial help if you are studying a course that lasts at least one academic year and is equivalent to 50% or more of a full-time course. You may qualify for a grant for fees and a course grant. How much you will get will depend on your income.

Money Support Unit

Within the Money Support Unit at Bangor we have a Student Money Adviser who can assist students with budget planning, answering financial queries or offer help with financial problems.

The University has a Financial Contingency Fund (Hardship Fund) to assist UK students experiencing unexpected financial hardship.
The fund does not have to be paid back.

Contact the Money Support Unit if you have any questions regarding financial matters:

Or, for further advice;