The Study Skills Centre workshop series is open to students from all levels of study. The series covers a variety of topics related to academic studies, note-taking, reading and writing, including preparing for exams. All workshops will be delivered digitally in English and through Blackboard Collaborate. Here is a step-by-step guide that takes you through what you can expect and how things work online. After each workshop you will be e-mailed both English and Welsh slides, along with bilingual versions of the related handouts and guides.
Teaching and learning at Bangor follows a model known as blended learning. This means that our workshops will consist of both synchronous (real-time) and asynchronous (recorded materials) elements. The workshops marked with a star below are asynchronous sessions where you will have the opportunity to engage with the material a week in advance, before attending the related real-time workshop.
You are welcome to follow the complete workshop programme, or to attend only those workshops that appeal to you. The workshops are free, and places can be reserved online from 18th September 2020 onwards. Click on the workshop titles below to access materials and to book your place. You will be directed to the Target Connect booking site through the Careers and Employability Service.
- 30/09/2020, 13:10-14:00 Approaching Academic Study
- 30/09/2020, 15:10-16:00 Managing Your Time
- 07/10/2020, 13:10-14:00 What Do My Lecturers Expect of Me?
- 07/10/2020, 15:10-16:00 Making Lecture and Seminar Notes
- 14/10/2020, 13:10-14:00 Academic Writing: Getting Started
- 14/10/2020, 15:10-16:00 Analysing Essay Questions
- 21/10/2020, 13:10-14:00 What should I read?
- 21/10/2020, 15:10-16:00 Making Sense of What I Read
- 28/10/2020, 13:10-14:00 Getting the Most from Your Reading
- 28/10/2020, 15:10-16:00 Essay Plans
- 04/11/2020, 13:10-14:00 Critical Writing
- 04/11/2020, 15:10-16:00 Taking a Critical Viewpoint
- 11/11/2020, 13:10-14:00 Improving Your Grades
- 11/11/2020, 15:10-16:00 Avoiding Plagiarism
- 18/11/2020, 13:10-14:00 Paraphrasing Your Sources
- 18/11/2020, 15:10-16:00 Introductions and Conclusions
- 25/11/2020, 13:10-14:00 Making Your Writing Flow
- 25/11/2020, 15:10-16:00 Good Paragraphs
- 02/12/2020, 13:10-14:00 Proofreading
- 02/12/2020, 15:10-16:00 Excel at Exams