Covid Protocol Training
Due to Covid-19, this year has been very unusual for all of us with lots of new ways of doing things.
Please be assured that the University is doing everything it can to protect the health, safety and well-being of its students whilst also providing you with a rich University experience.
Please read the information below so you are familiar with what to expect when you come to campus. We are in continual dialogue with our local health authority and other government agencies to ensure our practices are in line with the latest guidance, including the Welsh Test, Trace and Protect strategy.
Keeping Buildings Safe
There will be frequent cleaning of University buildings and facilities. There may be different ways of moving around buildings, for example, one-way systems, one person in a lift at a time. You’ll also see lots of hand sanitisers and signs to ensure safe use of buildings. Here are some examples of the signs you’ll see around campus:
Rules and Regulations
The differences between countries and regions can be confusing. Please remember that the University follows the Welsh Government’s guidance. The main differences currently are:
- Social distancing – Wales still follows 2m distancing
In accordance with Welsh Government policy all staff, students and visitors must wear face coverings within university buildings.
Reasons for not wearing a face covering are set out in the Welsh Government guidance and would include:
- Those who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical ormental illness / disability-related reasons
- Those who will be caused severe distress by putting on, wearing or removing a face covering
- Providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
- To avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others to avoid
injury, or to escape a risk of harm
- To eat or drink
- To take medication
There is no requirement for people to provide proof that they are exempt from wearing a face covering but they may wish to download an e-card from Gov.uk which can be used from their phone.
During lectures and seminars, students are required to wear face coverings whilst lecturers and instructors may not need to as other mitigation measures are in place,
such as presenting from over 2m distancing or from behind Perspex shield. Staff within single-occupancy offices and similar spaces are not required to wear a face
covering. Students within their own residential household are not expected to wear face coverings. Also, the wearing of face coverings may not be required for some
scientific activities where these would pose a greater risk, requirements will be specified within laboratory procedures.
All students and members of staff are strongly encouraged to be considerate towards others who may have health conditions and to wear face coverings within University buildings.
Key Points to Remember
- Never enter a building or take part in an activity if you think you have Covid-19 symptoms
- Always sanitise hands on entry and exit into a building
- Follow signage and any local rules provided by your School, Halls of Residence, Students’ Union etc
- Where possible practice 2m social distancing always
- Wear a face covering and keep one with you for use if needed
- Regularly practice good hand hygiene – anti-viral and anti-bacterial sanitisers can be found in all buildings, follow the 20 second rule when washing hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, throw tissues in the bin
- Most importantly please be respectful of each other
We’ll be updating this information with the latest additions to our Covid-19 protocols and you will be provided with more specific information from your academic school, Halls of Residence and Students’ Union as needed.