This section provides an outline of the content of this Marine Biology and Zoology BSc (Joint Hons) course. Each year you'll study a series of modules, some of these are compulsory and others can be selected from a range of optional modules.
You study 120 credits in each year.
All modules are worth 20 credits.
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Ecology and Evolution
- Introductory Research Skills
- Marine Biology Practical Skills 1
- Organismal Diversity
- Tutorial 1
Some modules are worth 20 credits and others 10.
- Evolution and Genetics
- Marine Biology Practical Skills 2
- Marine Ecology
- Marine Physiology and Behaviour
- Tutorial 2
- Vertebrate Biology
Some modules are worth 20 credits and others 10. You will study all of the compulsory modules and choose several optional. Optional modules are paired together and you will only choose one optional module from a pair of modules.
- Dissertation (in Marine Biology or Zoology)
- Intertidal Field Project
- Advances in Behaviour
- Animal Survival Strategies
- Fish Biology
- Larval Ecology
- Marine Conservation and Exploitation
- Marine Processes and Systems
- Marine Vertebrates
- Molecular Ecology and Evolution
- Overseas Field Course VIMS
You will carry out a research dissertation in which you do an independent study on topics related to any aspect of Marine Biology or Zoology.
Modules our students are currently studying...
If you'd like a closer look at the content of the modules our current students are studying this year please click on the links below;
Marine Biology/Zoology degree (BSC/BMZ)
* Please note that due to the dynamic nature of our degree programmes specific topics of study/modules are occasionally subject to change.
Please also note that some degree programmes have placements or study periods in other institutions, and during those years no module content is listed.