This section provides an outline of the content of this Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) BSc (Hons) course. Each year you'll study a series of modules, some of these are compulsory and others can be selected from a range of optional modules.
During this Sports Science (Outdoor Activities) degree you study a total of 120 credits in each year. The modular programme offered by the School provides continuity across the years as well as depth.
Over the three years you study modules from:
- Human Physiology
- Issues in Sport, Exercise, and Outdoor Activities
- Research in SHES
- Practical Water-based I and II
- Practical Land-based I and II
- Psychomotor Behaviour
- Motor Control and Learning
- Psychology of Sport Performance
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Expedition (academic and practical)
- Stress and Performance
- Environmental Physiology - High Altitude
Plus a choice of optional modules in Years Two and Three from:
- Sport Nutrition
- Applied Sport Psychology
- Exercise Psychology
- Physiological Assessment Skills
- Perception and Action
- Higher Skills
- Research in Psychological Skills
- Personality and Individual Differences
- Group Dynamics
- Physiology of Elite Performance
- Environmental Physiology – Extremes
- Healthy Aging
- Exercise for Clinical Populations
- Skill Acquisition
The practical outdoor elements of the course will be taught in a more intensive format, blocking teaching sessions into days. You will be encouraged to complete residential courses to gain National Governing Body awards. The expedition module will follow a journey format lasting a week in a remote area. Outdoor elements will be assessed by methods including practical assessments, reports completed by course instructors and a portfolio of personal experience.
The course content is indicative and some module content and/or module titles may vary slightly.
Modules our students are currently studying...
If you'd like a closer look at the content of the modules our current students are studying this year please click on the links below;
Sport Science (ODA) degree (BSC/SSOA)
* Please note that due to the dynamic nature of our degree programmes specific topics of study/modules are occasionally subject to change.
Please also note that some degree programmes have placements or study periods in other institutions, and during those years no module content is listed.