Equality and Diversity at the School of Ocean Sciences
The Self-Assessment Team (SAT)
The SAT at the School of Ocean Sciences includes a broad range of staff, student and technical representation. The main tasks of the SAT are:
- To assess gender equality in the institution and identifying both challenges and opportunities
- To build and execute an action plan that builds on this self-assessment
- To help develop and maintain a positive organisational structure and culture with equality and diversity in work and learning environments.
Dr Katrien Van Landeghem is the SAT contact.
In 2019, the Athena Swan Self Assessment Team has evolved in multiple Working Groups:
- Part-time and flexible work
- Forum for (new) parents
- Representing women in science
- Personal development and wellbeing
- Staff surveying
- ECO Group
The School of Ocean Sciences received an Athena Swan Bronze award in October 2018. This is in recognition of the department’s ongoing work to advance gender equality.
Our application document in PDF format
The Athena SWAN Charter recognises the advancement of gender equality: representation, progression and success for all.
The Equality Challenge Unit’s Athena SWAN Charter was established in 2005 to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education and research.
In May 2015 the Charter was expanded to recognise work undertaken in arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law (AHSSBL), and in professional and support roles, and for trans staff and students. The charter now recognises work undertaken to address gender equality more broadly, and not just barriers to progression that affect women. http://www.ecu.ac.uk/equality-charters/athena-swan/
The Athena SWAN Charter covers women (and men where appropriate) in:
- academic roles in STEMM and AHSSBL
- professional and support staff
- trans staff and students
In relation to their:
- progression of students into academia
- journey through career milestones
- working environment for all staff