Prof Aziz Jaafar
Professor in Accounting
Division: Financial Studies
Location: Room 1.07, Hen Goleg
Telephone: 01248 38 3226
Aziz Jaafar is Professor of Accounting at Bangor Business School. He has taught at Aberystwyth University, MARA University of Technology and Henan University of Technology. Professor Jaafar has audit and management consultancy experience whilst working with one of the Big4 accounting firms. His research work has appeared in many internationally recognised journals such as Journal of Corporate Finance, Abacus, International Journal of Accounting, British Accounting Review, Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organization, International Review of Financial Analysis, Journal of Financial Services Researchand European Journal of Finance.
He is co-editor in chief of Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, associate editor of Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research and member of editorial board at Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies.
Roles within Bangor Business School:
- Head of Accounting (Sept 2018 - Present)
- PhD Admissions (Sept 2018 - Present)
- Moderator for the Bangor University partnership with MDIS Singapore/Malaysia.
- Director of Graduate Studies (Research) (2014 - 2018)
- Personal tutor
- Supervision of PGR, PGT and UG dissertations
- BSc Accounting (Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA)
- MAcc Accounting & Financial Management (University of Glasgow)
- PhD Accounting (Bangor University)
- Financial Accounting (2nd year)
- Financial Statement Analysis
- BBS Doctoral Training Programme (co-ordinator)
- Doctoral Seminar - Earnings Quality and Earnings Management
- Advanced Financial Reporting and Regulation
- Financial Analysis
Executive Programme – Chartered Banker MBA
- Corporate Finance
PhD Students Supervisor:
- Almutasembilla Zaki Allam
- Jirarat Pitpanarapong
- Kathleen Regan
- Ngoc Khanh Vy Tran
- Mahmoud Abdelkader Ali Abdelrahman
- Jingwen Yang – March 2018
- Yang Wang – December 2017
- Abdullah Alsaadi - July 2015
- Leo WenBo – December 2014
- Murizah Osman Salleh– July 2013
- Mao-Feng Kao – December 2012
- Azhar Mohamad – May 2012
- Money shouts! How effective are punishments for accounting fraud?Wang, Y, Ashton, JK & Jaafar, A 2019, 'Money shouts! How effective are punishments for accounting fraud?', British Accounting Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2019.02.006
- Payout policy and ownership structure: The Case of Islamic and Conventional BanksDuqi, A, Jaafar, A & Warsame, MH 2019, 'Payout policy and ownership structure: The Case of Islamic and Conventional Banks', British Accounting Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2019.03.001
- Can a Loan Valuation Adjustment (LVA) Approach Immunize Collateralized Debt from Defaults?Wojakowski, RM, Ebrahim, MS, Jaafar, A & Osman Salleh, M 2019, 'Can a Loan Valuation Adjustment (LVA) Approach Immunize Collateralized Debt from Defaults?', Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments. https://doi.org/10.1111/fmii.12109
- Does mutual fund investment influence accounting fraud?Wang, Y, Ashton, J & Jaafar, A 2019, 'Does mutual fund investment influence accounting fraud?', Emerging Markets Review, vol. 38, no. March, pp. 142-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ememar.2018.12.005
- Ownership Structure, Board of Directors and Firm PerformanceKao, MF, Hodgkinson, L & Jaafar, A 2019, 'Ownership Structure, Board of Directors and Firm Performance: Evidence from Taiwan', Corporate Governance, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 189-216. https://doi.org/10.1108/CG-04-2018-0144
- Corporate Social Responsibility, Shariah-Compliance, and Earnings QualityAlsaadi, A, Ebrahim, MS & Jaafar, A 2017, 'Corporate Social Responsibility, Shariah-Compliance, and Earnings Quality', Journal of Financial Services Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 169-194. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10693-016-0263-0
- Can Islamic Injunctions Indemnify the Structural Flaws of Securitized Debt?Ebrahim, MS, Jaafar, A, Omar, FA & Salleh, MO 2016, 'Can Islamic Injunctions Indemnify the Structural Flaws of Securitized Debt?', Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. 37, pp. 271-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2016.01.002
- Short selling and exchange traded funds returnsMohamad, A, Jaafar, A & Goddard, J 2016, 'Short selling and exchange traded funds returns: Evidence from the London Stock Exchange', Applied Economics, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 152-164. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2015.1076146
- Short-selling ban and cross-sectoral contagionMohamad, A, Jaafar, A & Goddard, JA 2015, 'Short-selling ban and cross-sectoral contagion: Evidence from the UK', Journal of Asset Management, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 484-501. https://doi.org/10.1057/jam.2015.32
- Tax Havens and Effective Tax Rates: An Analysis of Private versus Public European FirmsThornton, JS & Jaafar, A 2015, 'Tax Havens and Effective Tax Rates: An Analysis of Private versus Public European Firms', International Journal of Accounting, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 435-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intacc.2015.10.005
- Can an interest-free credit facility be more efficient than a usurious payday loan?Salleh, MO, Jaafar, A & Ebrahim, MS 2014, 'Can an interest-free credit facility be more efficient than a usurious payday loan?', Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, vol. 103, no. Supplement, pp. S74-S92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2013.05.014
- Corporate governance, accruals quality and stock returns: evidence from the UKMouselli, S, Abdulraouf, R & Jaafar, A 2014, 'Corporate governance, accruals quality and stock returns: evidence from the UK', Corporate Governance, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 32-44. https://doi.org/10.1108/CG-12-2012-0093
- Accruals quality, stock returns and asset pricing: Evidence from the UKMouselli, S, Jaafar, A & Goddard, JA 2013, 'Accruals quality, stock returns and asset pricing: Evidence from the UK', International Review of Financial Analysis, vol. 30, pp. 203-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2013.08.006
- Regulation, Bonding and the Quality of Financial StatementsJaafar, A, Dargenidou, C & McLeay, S 2013, Regulation, Bonding and the Quality of Financial Statements. in R Di Petra, S McLeay & J Ronen (eds), Accounting and Regulation: New insights on Governance, Markets and Institutions. Springer, New York, pp. 191-228.
- Mispricing and risk of R&D investment in European firmsDuqi, A, Jaafar, A & Torluccio, G 2013, 'Mispricing and risk of R&D investment in European firms', European Journal of Finance, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 444-465. https://doi.org/10.1080/1351847X.2013.838185
- Short selling and stock returns: Evidence from the UKMohamad, A, Jaafar, A, Hodgkinson, L & Wells, J 2013, 'Short selling and stock returns: Evidence from the UK', British Accounting Review, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 125-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2013.03.001
- Accruals quality vis-à-vis disclosure quality: Substitutes or complements?Mouselli, S, Jaafar, A & Hussainey, K 2012, 'Accruals quality vis-à-vis disclosure quality: Substitutes or complements?', British Accounting Review, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 36-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2011.12.004
- Ownership Concentration, Board Characteristics and Performance: Evidence from JordanJaafar, A & El Shalwa, M 2009, Ownership Concentration, Board Characteristics and Performance: Evidence from Jordan. in Accounting in Emerging Economies. 2009 edn, pp. 73-96.
- Country effects and sector effects on the harmonization of accounting policy choiceMcleay, SJ & Jaafar, A 2007, 'Country effects and sector effects on the harmonization of accounting policy choice', Abacus, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 156-189. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6281.2007.00224.x
- Financial Reporting Quality of SPAC Targets vis-à-vis IPO Issuers
- Ad-hoc Reviewer:
- Journal of Banking and Finance; Accounting and Business Research; British Accounting Review; European Journal of Finance; Journal of Management and Governance; Research in Accounting in Emerging Economics; Asian Journal of Business and Accounting; International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation.
- External Examiner:
- Cass Business School, London - MSc Accounting & Finance (Sept 2018 - Present)
- University of Southampton – MSc Accounting & Finance (Sept 2017 - Present )
- University of Hertfordshire & INTI University, Malaysia – BSc Accounting & Finance & MBA programmes (April 2013 – Apr 2017)
- PhD Theses Examiner:
- Bangor University; Dundee University; Herriot-Watt University; University of Birmingham; University of Glasgow; UiTM; IIUM
- Visiting Appointments/Invited Research Seminars:
- University of Southampton; Durham University; University of Bologna; University of Kiel, National University of Malaysia, University Putra Malaysia; UniKL; MARA University of Technology.
- Visiting Professor – National University of Malaysia 2018.
- External Assessor: Professorial promotion – National University of Malaysia (2018)
- External Assessor: REF Benchmarking 2021 UK
- External Adviser of Board of Studies – Faculty of Economics and Management Sciences, International Islamic University, Malaysia (2018 – 2020).
- Research Mobility Grant: Erasmus+ University of Kiel (2017)
- Research Grant Assessor: Leverhulme; ESRC