Bangor University, UK
Bangor is situated on the North Wales coast and is easy to reach from any part of the UK. Manchester Airport is only a two-hour train journey away and London is less than four hours away by train.
I think Bangor University and its surroundings are too beautiful. I went to the pier, the beach, Snowdonia Mountain, the main building of Bangor University, and the surrounding castles. The scenery was spectacular.
A beautiful city
A cathedral city, Bangor is set between the Snowdonia Mountains and the sea, and is a beautiful place to study. With miles of beautiful coastline and the nearby Snowdonia National Park, the area boasts some of the most spectacular scenery in the country. Snowdon - England and Wales' highest mountain is only a half hour journey from Bangor.
A compact city
Bangor is a compact city; university buildings, accommodation buildings and the city centre are all within a safe walking distance, so there is no need to rely on a bus or train to travel to the university if you're based in Bangor meaning you'll save money on travel costs.
Students who wish to travel within or outside Bangor can purchase an Arriva Student Saver ticket which offers unbeatable savings (up to 30% savings on bus fares). Find out more...
Low cost of living
The cost of living is lower than in larger city universities. Accommodation costs are much lower and with no need to pay for public transport - students can save up to 50% on living costs. Bangor is ranked amongst the top 5 University cities in the UK in terms of cost of living (accommodation, food etc).
Bangor is not an industrialised city, pollution levels are low, so it's a clean and healthy place to live. More details about the Cost of Living here.
- Adventure Parc Snowdonia which has the World's first Inland Surf Lagoon and Zipworld which has the fastest zip line in the World aren't too far from Bangor and have a number of different adventures you can enjoy
- Football lovers can attend Liverpool and Manchester United matches on weekends - an easy two-hour train journey away
- Rock, pop and R&B music lovers can see their favourite bands perform in Manchester and Liverpool, future concerts include: Little Mix, Dermot Kennedy, Ariana Grande, The Killers, Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Sam Fender and much more
- Bangor is on the circuit of the BBC National Symphony Orchestra for Wales staging 3 concerts every year
History and culture
- a former vice-chancellor of the university, Professor Charles Evans was a member of Sir Edmund Hillary's team - the first to reach the summit of Everest in 1953
- the Snowdonia mountains near Bangor acted as a training ground for the team
- the site of the cathedral in Bangor dates back to the 6th century AD
- castles situated along the coast date back to the 13th century AD