Dr Jessica Clapham
Lecturer in Education
Position: Course Director Doctorate in Education ( Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy/RSA)
Phone: 01248 383088
Location: Dinas 103, Normal Site, School of Education and Human Development & Linguistics
I joined Bangor University in 1994. I am Course Director for the Doctorate in Education at the School of Education and Human Development and Course Director for the MA in TEFL ( Linguistics/LLL). I was educated in Bangor and Cardiff University, where I gained a BA in English Literature and an MA in Applied Linguistics. I have taught in Sudan and China and provided consultancy and literacy training in Jamaica, Lesotho, and Pakistan. I am currently lecturing on postgraduate MA programmes, Research Projects in PGCE Primary and Secondary Language, and I also teach an MA module in TESOL/ TEFL, Intercultural Education (MDIS Singapore) and contribute to the MA module in Research Methods. The MA in TEFL is a new venture for 2015 onwards in collaboration with the School of Linguistics.
- Course Director: Doctorate in Education
- Co-ordinator for Overseas Students within English in Education
- Supervising MA/PhD dissertations
- Teaching and Learning Panel, School of Education
- Mentor : Women's University Mentoring Scheme
- PGCertHE Assessor
- Reviewer for HEA.
- UCET Literacy Test Piloting Panel.
- TEFL MA Programme Board. (Linguistics)
- Bangor English Test Panel. (ELCOS)]
- External Examiner MARJON Plymouth and USWTSD.
BA (Hons) in English Literature, University of Wales, Bangor
PGCE Secondary English, University of Wales, Cardiff
Cert TEFLA, Godmer House, Oxford
MA in Applied Linguistics, University of Wales, Bangor
Doctorate in Education, Exeter University
Senior Fellow HEA, Fellow RSA.
- Sociolinguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- Language Awareness and Multilingualism
- Intercultural Education (MDIS, MA in Education, Singapore).
- TEFL/ ESL/EAL teaching methodology.
- MA module XME4001: Research Methods in Education (Qualitative interviewing)
- EFL Theory QXL3313
- MA TEFL QXL4413
- SLA and Teaching QXL 4420
- MA TESOL XME4070
- Dissertation Module Convenor, MA in Education All Pathways.
MA Dissertation students (5)
Primary PGCE Dissertations (8)
My doctoral research focused on teachers' use of Code-switching in bilingual classrooms in Wales, with a view to examining in what ways teachers are aware of the positive benefits of Code-switching and to raise awareness of the relationship between code choice, bilingual identity and wider social factors. I am particularly interested in how far teachers employ code-switching as a teaching strategy and how teachers' identities undergo a process of transformation as a result of their experiences of the research process.
Other research interests include metalinguistic awareness (LLAWEN Mentoring Project) with Dr Lise Fontaine, language awareness, bilingual teaching methodology and Narrative Inquiry.
I am a member of BAAL,NA TESOL and NALDIC and have several years experience of working with minority ethnic achievement in Wales. I am an external examiner for the MA programme in UHI, Outer Hebrides and St. Mark and St. John University, Plymouth.
I was instrumental in setting up the Wales-Jamaica Project with Sheila Bennell and Lorna Egan and I have co-written articles for English in Education and Education Transactions, and I have also written a chapter on Bilingualism with Professor. Colin Baker. I regularly contribute reviews on educational matters and I am an associate member of the ESRC Centre for Bilingualism.
- An analysis of Trainee Teachers’ use of Code-switching in the Bilingual Secondary Classroom: a case from WalesClapham, J 2011, 'An analysis of Trainee Teachers’ use of Code-switching in the Bilingual Secondary Classroom: a case from Wales', Educational Futures, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 20-38.
- Dadansoddiad o ddefnydd athrawon dan hyfforddiant o gyfnewid cod mewn dosbarth uwchradd dwyieithog: Achos o GymruClapham, J 2010, 'Dadansoddiad o ddefnydd athrawon dan hyfforddiant o gyfnewid cod mewn dosbarth uwchradd dwyieithog: Achos o Gymru', Gwerddon.
- Natur ac Anghenion Disgyblion DwyieithogClapham, JJ, Baker, CR, Clapham, J, Roberts, G (ed.) & Williams, C (ed.) 2003, Natur ac Anghenion Disgyblion Dwyieithog. in Addysg Gymraeg Addysg Gymreig. 2003 edn, Ysgol Addysg Prifysgol Cymru Bangor, pp. 103-115.
- A Country Without Language - A Country Without HeartClapham, J 1996, A Country Without Language - A Country Without Heart. in P Daniel (ed.), We Share the Same Struggle: Women in Wales Women in Nicaragua . Grwp Canolbarth America Mon.
Project work for the Wales-Jamaica Project can be found at http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/slavestoslate/default.html