Dr Mark Hyland
Lecturer in International IP Law
Direct work telephone: + 44 (0)1248 - 382585 (voicemail available)
Office: Athrolys (Top Floor, Office 201)
Office Hours (2018/19, Semester 2): Tuesdays, 1pm-3pm
Dr. Mark Hyland's expertise and principal research interests lie in the field of Intellectual Property Law, with a particular focus on Copyright Law. He also has a strong interest in the interface between Intellectual Property Law and related fields such as Competition Law and, Information Technology Law.
Dr. Hyland's roles within the Law School:
- Director of the LLM Programme in Intellectual Property Law
- Director of the LLM Programme in International Banking Law
- Co-Director of the Bangor Centre for International Law
- Erasmus Coordinator
- International Exchanges Coordinator
- Liaison with the European School of Law, Université Toulouse 1 Capitole (our partner university)
- Member of the Employability Committee
- Internships Officer
Dr. Hyland is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. In 2016, he was awarded a Bangor University Teaching Fellowship for excellence in teaching.
Dr. Hyland teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
SXL 2136/3136 Intellectual Property Law (semesters 1 and 2)
SXL 4004/4404 Intellectual Property Law (semester 1)
SXL 4001/4401 Competition Law (semester 2)
SXL 4005/4405 International Banking Law (semester 2)
SXL 4109/4119 Legal Research Methods (semesters 1 and 2)
As of January, 2019, Dr Hyland has, as first supervisor, successfully supervised 4 PhD theses to completion. Three of the PhD candidates were awarded their PhD Degree without conditions while the fourth was awarded their PhD Degree subject to minor changes (4 weeks).
- A Critical Evaluation of Webblocking Injunctions Viewed From Two Perspectives: Effectiveness and LegitimacyHyland, M 2018, 'A Critical Evaluation of Webblocking Injunctions Viewed From Two Perspectives: Effectiveness and Legitimacy' Law, Innovation and Technology.
- At a Crossroads : Irish CopyrightHyland, M 2015, 'At a Crossroads : Irish Copyright' European Intellectual Property Review, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 773-781.
- The Football Association Premier League ruling - the Bosman of exclusive broadcasting rights?Hyland, M 2012, 'The Football Association Premier League ruling - the Bosman of exclusive broadcasting rights?' Communications Law (The Journal of Computer, Media and Telecommunications Law), vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 5-11.
- CELT Learning and Teaching Conference 2018
'Facilitating Work Experience That Responds To The Needs of the Profession(s)' CELT Annual Teaching and Learning Conference 2018
14 Jul 2018
Activity: Participation in conference (Speaker)