Dr Guto Puw
Senior Lecturer in Music Composition
Position: Head of Composition
Phone: +44 (0) 1248 382173
Location: School of Music
Guto Pryderi Puw (b.1971) read Music at Bangor University under composers John Pickard, Pwyll ap Siôn and Andrew Lewis, gaining his PhD in Composition in 2002. He was appointed as a lecturer in 2006, concentrating mainly on Composition and Contemporary Music and was appointed as Head of Composition in 2015.
Puw first came to prominence after winning the Composer’s Medal at the National Eisteddfod in 1995 and for the second time in 1997. His music has been featured in many festivals around the UK and broadcast regularly on Radio and television. In February 2006 he became the inaugural Resident Composer with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, with his Concerto for Oboe winning the Listeners’ Award category at the British Composer Awards in 2007 and ‘…onyt agoraf y drws…’ (‘unless I open the door’) being premiered at the Proms during the same year, later to be chosen as the the 2nd finest orchestral work by a Welsh composer in the Gramophone magazine in 2015.
His first operatic commission, Y Tŵr (‘The Tower’) based on the play by Gwenlyn Parry and with libretto by Gwyneth Glyn was successfully toured by Music Theatre Wales to critical acclaim throughout the UK in 2017.
He received the Sir Geraint Evans Award by the Welsh Music Guild for ‘his significant contribution to Welsh music’ in 2013. Signum Records released a selection of his recent orchestral works on the CD Reservoirs in 2014. For many years Puw has been active in the promotion of new music in north Wales through his involvement with the Bangor Music Festival, being one of its founding members and Artistic Director since 2000.
- WXK1011 Composition Year 1
- WXK2233 Composition Year 2
- WXM2121 / WXM3121 Contemporary opera and music theatre
- WXM2189 / WXM3189 Ligeti
- WXP3288 / WXP3289 Composition Projects
- WMP4202 Composition in Context
- WMP4121 / WMP4122 / WMP4123 Composition Projects 1 and 2
- WMP4105 Contemporary Music Practice
Current PhD/MPhil students
- Sa Do Kim (Composition and Conducting)
- Zach Reading (Composition)
The music of John Metcalf.
Contemporary opera and music theatre.
- 'A gwaedd y bechgyn...'Puw, G, 'A gwaedd y bechgyn...', 2017, Composition.
- (Ymdeithgan) Clystyrau ParhausPuw, G, (Ymdeithgan) Clystyrau Parhaus, 2017, Composition.
- Y TŵrPuw, G & Glyn, G, Y Tŵr, 2017, Composition, Oriana Publication, Bari, Bro Morgannwg.
- Concerto I’r FfidilPuw, GP, Concerto I’r Ffidil, 2016, Composition.
- Pethe AchlysurolPuw, GP, Pethe Achlysurol, 2016, Composition.
- Y Tŵr (acts I & II )Puw, GP, Y Tŵr (acts I & II ), 2016, Composition.
- HologramPuw, GP, Hologram, 2010, Composition, Unknown.
- Noson Tan GwylltPuw, GP, Noson Tan Gwyllt, 2010, Composition, Unknown.
- The Bobby Sands Memorial Race.Puw, GP, The Bobby Sands Memorial Race., 2009, Composition, Unknown.
- Hadau.Puw, GP, Hadau., 2009, Composition, Unknown.
- '... onyt agoraf y drws ...'Puw, GP, '... onyt agoraf y drws ...', 2007, Composition, Unknown.
- Dawns y Sêr (Dance of the Stars)Puw, GP, Dawns y Sêr (Dance of the Stars), 2007, Composition, Oriana Publication.
- Bath!Puw, GP, Bath!, 2007, Composition, Unknown.
- Moliannwn.Puw, GP, Moliannwn., 2007, Composition, Unknown.
- Oboe ConcertoPuw, GP, Oboe Concerto, 2006, Composition, Unknown.
- Soundtrack for Y Tywysogion.Puw, GP, Soundtrack for Y Tywysogion., 2006, Composition, Unknown.
- [New work]Puw, GP, [New work], 2006, Composition, Unknown.
- Stereo TypePuw, GP & Wright, E, Stereo Type, 2005, Composition, Oriana Publication.
- Y Stafell DdirgelPuw, GP, Y Stafell Ddirgel, 2005, Composition, Unknown.
- ReservoirsPuw, GP, Reservoirs, 2004, Composition, Unknown.
- Psst!Puw, GP, Psst!, 2004, Composition, Unknown.
- Dwy EisteddfodPuw, GP 2003, 'Dwy Eisteddfod', Barn, vol. 486/486, pp. 42-45.
- Ffantasia IV (Canon)Puw, GP, Ffantasia IV (Canon), 2003, Composition, Unknown.
- Hyrwyddo Y Tŵr
Fideos sy'n hyrwyddo perfformiad a thaith Y Tŵr.
10 Apr 2017 – 19 Jul 2017
Links: short video to promote the production
Interview with Guto Puw about the creation and rehearsals of the opera.
Interviews with the singers (Caryl Hughes a Gwion Thomas)
Pre-concert talk before Y Tŵr, Pontio Bangor 25.5.2017
Cyfweliad Caryl Hughes a Gwion Thomas - sut i gyfleu heneiddio
Cyfweliad y libretydd a'r cyfansoddwr (Gwyneth Glyn & Guto Puw)
Audience's reaction to the premiere
Interview with Samal Blak (Designer)
Interview with Richard Baker (Conductor)
Interviews with the Artistic Directors, Michael McCarthy (MTW) & Arwel Gruffydd (Theatr Gen)
CInterview with Arwel Gruffydd (Theatr Gen) - hearing the Welsh language in opera
Interview with Michael McCarthy (Artistic Director, MTW)
Activity: Other (Contributor)