Invstmt Strat & Portfolio Mgmt
Run by Bangor Business School
15 Credits or 7.5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Rasha Alsakka
Overall aims and purpose
To analyse portfolio strategies which can effectively control risk and enhance returns; to develop intellectual skills and research expertise in the area of investment analysis and portfolio management; and to demonstrate appropriate modelling techniques for investment decision-making and risk management.
- The characteristics and roles of investment institutions
- Investment objectives and the asset allocation decision
- Principles of portfolio management.
- Bond valuation and bond portfolio management strategies.
- Equity portfolio management strategies.
- Performance measurement.
An outstanding performance, exceptionally able; The relevant information accurately deployed; Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills; Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed; Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Very good performance; Most of the relevant information accurately deployed; Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Explain the different sources of risk and return in managing equity and bond portfolios.
Construct a portfolio from a range of available investment instruments, including bonds, equities and derivative securities.
Apply the principles of investment theory and practice to the optimal selection of investments to satisfy a specific set of risk-return objectives.
Explain the key considerations in risk management and risk management of portfolios.
Analyse appropriate benchmarks and methods for the evaluation of the performance of a portfolio of investments.
Demonstrate awareness of the process of investment management.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 3-hour lecture/class per week.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N3BV: MBA Finance year 1 (MBA/FIN)
- N3CN: MBA Finance (10 month) year 1 (MBA/FIN10)
- N3CT: MSc Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/FIN1)
- N3CM: MSc Finance (10 month) year 1 (MSC/FIN10)
- N3AJ: MSc Finance year 1 (MSC/FINANCE)
- N3CC: MSc Investment Management year 1 (MSC/IMGT)
- N3CX: MSc Investment Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/IMGT1)
- N3CR: MSc Investment Management (10 month) year 1 (MSC/IMGT10)
Optional in courses:
- M1AL: LLM Law and Banking year 1 (LLM/LB)
- N3CH: MA Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MA/BFCB)
- N3AD: MBA Banking and Finance year 1 (MBA/BIF)
- N3DG: MBA Banking and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/BIF1)
- N4AK: MSc Accounting and Banking year 1 (MSC/ACB)
- N4AJ: MSc Accounting year 1 (MSC/ACC)
- N4AM: MSc Accounting (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/ACC1)
- N4AP: MSc Accounting and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/ACCF1)
- N4AG: MSc Accounting and Finance year 1 (MSC/ACCFIN)
- N3AX: MSc Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/BANKFIN)
- N3CK: MSc Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MSC/BFCB)
- N3BF: MSc Islamic Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/IBF)
- N2AY: MSc Management and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/MANF1)
- N2AO: MSc Management and Finance year 1 (MSC/MANFIN)