Invstmt Strat & Portfolio Mgmt
Run by Bangor Business School
15 Credits or 7.5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Rasha Alsakka
Overall aims and purpose
To analyse portfolio strategies which can effectively control risk and enhance returns; to develop intellectual skills and research expertise in the area of investment analysis and portfolio management; and to demonstrate appropriate modelling techniques for investment decision-making and risk management.
- The characteristics and roles of investment institutions
- Investment objectives and the asset allocation decision
- Principles of portfolio management.
- Bond valuation and bond portfolio management strategies.
- Equity portfolio management strategies.
- Performance measurement.
An outstanding performance, exceptionally able; The relevant information accurately deployed; Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills; Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed; Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Very good performance; Most of the relevant information accurately deployed; Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Explain the different sources of risk and return in managing equity and bond portfolios.
Construct a portfolio from a range of available investment instruments, including bonds, equities and derivative securities.
Explain the key considerations in risk management and risk management of portfolios.
Analyse appropriate benchmarks and methods for the evaluation of the performance of a portfolio of investments.
Demonstrate awareness of the process of investment management.
Apply the principles of investment theory and practice to the optimal selection of investments to satisfy a specific set of risk-return objectives.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 3-hour lecture/class per week.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N3AB: MA Banking & Finance year 1 (MA/BIF)
- N3BV: MBA Finance year 1 (MBA/FIN)
- N3CN: MBA Finance (10 month) year 1 (MBA/FIN10)
- N3CT: MSc Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/FIN1)
- N3CM: MSc Finance (10 month) year 1 (MSC/FIN10)
- N3AJ: MSc Finance year 1 (MSC/FINANCE)
- N3CC: MSc Investment Management year 1 (MSC/IMGT)
- N3CR: MSc Investment Management (10 month) year 1 (MSC/IMGT10)
Optional in courses:
- M1AL: LLM Law and Banking year 1 (LLM/LB)
- N3CH: MA Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MA/BFCB)
- N3AB: MA Banking & Finance year 1 (MA/BIF)
- N3AD: MBA Banking and Finance year 1 (MBA/BIF)
- N3DG: MBA Banking and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/BIF1)
- N4AJ: MSc Accounting year 1 (MSC/ACC)
- N4AM: MSc Accounting (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/ACC1)
- N4AP: MSc Accounting and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/ACCF1)
- N4AG: MSc Accounting and Finance year 1 (MSC/ACCFIN)
- N3AX: MSc Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/BANKFIN)
- N3CK: MSc Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MSC/BFCB)
- N3BF: MSc Islamic Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/IBF)
- N2AY: MSc Management and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/MANF1)
- N2AO: MSc Management and Finance year 1 (MSC/MANFIN)