Int'l Marketing Communication
Run by Bangor Business School
15 Credits or 7.5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Ms Georgina Smith
Overall aims and purpose
To examine the processes by which an integrated marketing communications program is planned, developed and executed; and to examine the environment in which advertising and promotion take place and the various regulatory, social and economic factors that affect an organisation’s integrated marketing communications program.
• Introduction to International Marketing Communication (MarCom) • MarCom’s communication challenges and objective setting • Fundamentals of MarCom decisions: Targeting and positioning • Models and theories on communication • The role of the message • Advertising: Traditional vs Social media • Other MarCom Tools • International MarCom: Standardisation versus adaptation • Evaluating MarCom Effectiveness
No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills
An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Understand and critically evaluate the theories and principles underlying marketing communication practice.
Apply the techniques used by marketers in developing international marketing communications.
Develop a creative marketing communication plan.
Apply managerial judgement and analytical and critical skills to promotion problems.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 3-hour lecture per week.
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
Subject specific skills
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N1BJ: MA Business and Marketing (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MA/BMK1)
- N1AV: MA Business and Marketing year 1 (MA/BUSMRK)
- N5AD: MBA International Marketing year 1 (MBA/IM)
- N5AE: MBA International Marketing (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/IM1)
Optional in courses:
- N1BK: MA Business w Consumer Psychology (with Incorp Pre-Masters) year 1 (MA/BPSY1)
- N1AX: MA Business with Consumer Psychology year 1 (MA/BUSPSY)
- N1BL: MBA International Business (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/IBUS1)
- N1BG: MBA International Business year 1 (MBA/INTBUS)
- N1BH: MSc Business with Consumer Psychol (with Incorp Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/BPSY1)
- N1AY: MSc Business with Consumer Psychology year 1 (MSC/BUSPSY)
- C8CM: MSc Consumer Psychology with Business year 1 (MSC/CPSBUS)
- P3AS: MSc International Media & Management year 1 (MSC/IMEDM)
- P3AT: MSc Intl Media & Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/IMM1)