Financial Research & CFA
Financial Research and CFA 2023-24
Ysgol Busnes Bangor
Modiwl - Semester 3
Owain ap Gwilym
In the Research component, the precise content will vary from year to year. This will enable the module to include staff research specialisms, to reflect current and topical research issues. In the CFA component, participants benefit from extensive contact with a professional tutor as well as academic foundations.
Two research topics in the Research component. Preparation for the CFA Level 1 professional examination.
Threshold c- to c+ (50-59%): Satisfactory performance. No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Knowledge of key areas/principles only. Weaknesses in understanding of some areas. Limited evidence of background study. Answer inadequately focused on task and with some irrelevant material and poor structure. Arguments presented but lack coherence. Minor factual/computational errors. Lacking original interpretation.
Good B- to B+ (60-69%): Good performance. Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. Understands most but not all concepts/issues. Evidence of background study. Focused answer with good structure. Arguments presented coherently. Mostly free of factual errors. Some limited original interpretation. Well known links between topics are described. Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches. Good presentation with accurate communication
Excellent standard: 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Demonstrate awareness of a wide range of themes and topics which are relevant to a career in the financial industry.
- Demonstrate awareness of current theoretical and applied research within the scope of their degree programme.
- Demonstrate quantitative skills in solving problems in statistics, finance and economics.
- Demonstrate reasoning skills in solving qualitative tasks of relevant to finance, economics and investment management.
- Demonstrate the ability to access and review a stream of literature which has relevance to a specific programme of empirical research.
- Demonstrate the ability to select empirical techniques appropriate for a programme of empirical research, and demonstrate competence in fundamental tasks of data handling and data analysis.
Individual Literature Review (dissertation report 1).
Individual Empirical Study (dissertation report 2).
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)