Exercise is Medicine
Exercise is Medicine 2022-23
School Of Human And Behavioural Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
This module will cover the following themes:
Rheumatoid Arthritis Multiple Sclerosis Coronary Heart Disease Breast/Prostate Cancer Introduction to Exercise Rehabilitation and Screening Patients, Exercise Testing, Exercise Prescription
-threshold -Basic knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Most criteria are met to an adequate standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of the different components.
-good -Good knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Most criteria are met to a good standard; some may be met to a very good standard.
-excellent -Deep knowledge and understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic conditions, preparation of baseline assessments and exercise prescription. Some criteria are met to an exceptionally high standard; the remainder are met to an excellent standard.
- Confidently and competently present a 10-minute presentation providing an overview of a chronic condition.
- Critically analyse current exercise guidelines, scientific papers and reviews to prescribe suitable exercise programmes for people with a variety of chronic conditions.
- Critically analyse the relationship between physical activity and exercise on health outcomes in a diverse range of participant groups and appreciate the importance of equality.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the pathophysiology, symptoms, and diagnosis of a range of chronic conditions.
- Demonstrate competency in assessing and monitoring the health and wellbeing of a client through appropriate evidence-based testing and exercise prescription/lifestyle intervention, demonstrating professionalism by practising key personal qualities such as compassion, empathy, flexibility, equality, diversity and understanding.
- Prepare suitable and comprehensive health assessments for patients with a range of chronic conditions or for those during recovery from treatment.