English as a Foreign Language Theory 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 1
This module provides an overview of TEFL theory by examining a wide range of contexts in which language teaching and learning takes place.
Topics will include the following:
1. The use of English within a global context.
2. Language awareness in the classroom.
3. English teaching methodologies in the classroom context.
4. Analysis of teaching English to speakers of other languages based on research articles and DVD material: affective factors and classroom interaction.
5. Implementing and evaluating curriculum change.
-threshold -C (50%): The answer must involve the critical analysis of existing research into TEFL and/or research from a Foreign language Learning perspective . The answer must show evidence of some background study of primary sources going beyond material discussed in lectures. The answer must be relevant to the research topic chosen. -good -B : Critical reflection and a review of literature must be presented, organized, and analysed with care and an appreciation must be shown of some of the problems involved with preparing a review of literature. The answer must show a better-than-average standard of knowledge and understanding. The answer must show evidence of background of primary sources. Assertions must be supported by reference to a theory and/or empirical research. The answer must show evidence of analytical thinking. The answer must have a coherent structure that is adhered to in the most part; relationships between successive parts must be generally easy to follow. -excellent -A : Critical reflection and a review of literature must be evaluated in a logical manner. The answer must have an originality of exposition and understanding; the author’s own thinking should be readily apparent. The answer must show clear evidence of extensive reading of primary sources. The answer must show a clear line structure in which each successive stage is explicitly linked and the reader is explicitly told why these parts are relevant to the study.
- Students will be able to analyse a range of methods and methodologies used in TEFL and the principles underlying them.
- Students will be able to analyse the factors underlying TEFL curriculum development.
- Students will be able to critique how teachers' beliefs about language, learning, and teaching have an effect on lesson planning and delivery.
- Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and discuss key facts, concepts, ideas, approaches and issues relating to the study of TEFL
- Students will be able to identify and evaluate different approaches to the study of and processes involved in foreign language learning.
Research Article Critique Essay
Proposal 3500 words