Advanced Research and Enquiry Skills
Run by School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credits or 10.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Nia Young
Overall aims and purpose
This module equips students with the advanced research knowledge and enquiry skills required to complete a Master’s degree by providing them with the research, enquiry and analytical skills that are necessary to undertake a piece of independent research within their own context. The module will ensure that students develop the skills of literature survey, research design, data analyses and data representation that will support their personal research and enquiry work. The module will also provide students with an extensive understanding of international research on various topics as well as research philosophies, methods, forms of analyses and presentation styles.
This module aims to:
- Enable students to plan and undertake a research/enquiry study within a school/education setting
- Engage students in an international research literature in ways that inform their independent research and ongoing professional practice
- Critically examine the theoretical perspectives and methodological approaches which underpin research design and the processes of qualitative, quantitative and enquiry-based research.
- Engage students in a critical evaluation of advanced research/enquiry processes including developing the skills of research design, data analyses and data representation.
- Provide students with the skills to critically evaluate different research paradigms, methodologies and perspectives so these can be applied within their own professional context.
Plan their own independent research/enquiry studies within their own school/education context or setting.
Critically engage with the international research literature in ways that inform their independent research and ongoing professional practice
Reflect upon the current theoretical debates within the social sciences and within educational research in order to inform their decisions around research design and enquiry.
Critically evaluate advanced research/enquiry processes including research design, data analyses and data representation.
Critically evaluate different research paradigms, methodologies and perspectives and apply these within their own professional context.
|Research Enquiry Proposal||100.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xme-4312.html
Bryman, A. (2016). Social research methods. London: Oxford University Press. Hendricks, C. C. (2017). Improving schools through action research: A reflective practice approach. New Jersey: Pearson. Brannen, J. (Ed.) (2017). Mixing methods: Qualitative and quantitative research. London, Routledge. Hennink, M., Hutter, I., & Savin-Baden, M. and Tombs, G., (2017). Research methods for education in the digital age. London: Bloomsbury Publishing. Bailey, A. (2020). Qualitative research methods. London, SAGE Publications Limited