Teaching and Learning in HE
Teaching and Learning in HE 2023-24
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
There are two stages to the PGCert HE:
Stage 1 (module XVE4008) will focus on the practical aspects of teaching to help you to be more efficient and effective in teaching in Higher Education. This stage will include regular workshops to support your development and the assessment will be a final portfolio evidencing your teaching experience.
Stage 2 (module XVE4009) will focus on pedagogical research to explore new innovations and further develop your teaching practice. This stage will involve independent scholarship and the assessment will be an academic paper.
-threshold -All learning outcomes have been met ("pass" grade), but more than one component of the assessment was graded "borderline", where the following criteria just meet the threshold for a pass:oComplete submission with minimum evidence included for all required componentsoAdequate understanding and application in all core areas of teaching activityoSome core knowledge of teaching, learning, and pedagogyoDemonstration of basic professional values -good -All learning outcomes have been met (graded "pass"), but one component of the assessment was graded "borderline". -excellent -All components of the assessment are graded pass, with no elements graded as "borderline" or "fail".
- Assess and give feedback to learners (UKPSF A3).
- Demonstrate appropriate methods for teaching, learning and assessing in your own discipline (UKPSF K2).
- Demonstrate good knowledge and understanding of the subject material in your own discipline (UKPSF K1).
- Design and plan learning activities and/or programmes of study (UKPSF A1).
- Develop effective learning environments and approaches to student support and guidance (UKPSF A4).
- Engage in continuing professional development in subjects/disciplines and their pedagogy, incorporating research, scholarship, and the evaluation of professional practices (UKPSF A5).
- Promote participation in higher education and equality of opportunity for learners (UKPSF V2).
- Respect individual learners and diverse learning communities (UKPSF V1).
- Teach and/or support learning (UKPSF A2).
- Understand how students learn, both generally and within your discipline (UKPSF K3).
- Use and value appropriate learning technologies (UKPSF K4).