FAQs for Undergraduate accommodation

Am I guaranteed a room in a Hall of Residence?

We guarantee accommodation to undergraduate applicants that:

  • apply for a full-time course starting in September
  • apply for a course based at our Bangor campus
  • choose Bangor University as their Firm Choice
  • apply for a place in Halls by July 31

Please note, our undergraduate accommodation is mainly single-occupancy, en-suite and self-catering. If you apply for a place in Halls before the July 31 deadline, you will be able to choose which room you would prefer..

I have accepted a place at the University. When do I apply for accommodation?

The booking system will open on 27 January 2020. Once Bangor University is your Firm Choice through UCAS, we will contact you by email to invite you to apply for accommodation.You must apply before the 31st of July to be guaranteed a place in Halls. If you are an International applicant, the guarantee will be dependent on you holding a Firm offer to study at Bangor University.

If you will be away at this time and wish another member of your family to make the application for you please make sure that the University has an up to date email address.

Bangor is my Insurance Choice. Should I still make an application?

Once Bangor becomes your Firm Choice you will be sent an email inviting you to apply for a room in university accommodation.

Does the University provide any accommodation specifically for mature students?

Each year the University reserves a small amount of accommodation for those students requiring a quieter environment.  We will give details on our website of which hall has been designated as such. These may be particularly attractive to mature students but not exclusively so.  It is possible that these rooms may be oversubscribed and therefore we can not guarantee that we will be able to meet your request.

We will do our best to indicate to all residents in these rooms that we expect a quieter environment but all residents should appreciate that no form of communal living is entirely silent and it is very difficult to define ‘quiet’. It will always be noisier than living in your own home. In addition it is not always possible to regulate the amount of noise coming from outside the hall or corridor which may be beyond our control.

I hope to come to Bangor University with a friend – can we apply for rooms together?

You can choose rooms together with your friend.

Experience tells us that it is often best NOT to choose a room near a friend.  You are more likely to make new friends and have new experiences if you (like most other new students) are on your own. Each year we experience students who have asked to be placed near a friend or partner and part way through the year they no longer wish to be in this position and there is often very little we can do to alleviate the situation if we have no spare rooms available.  Please think very carefully before you choose to be accommodated near a current friend or partner.

Do I need to let you know that I will be living at home?

No, this is not necessary. Please just ignore all the information you receive about University accommodation.

Do I need to pay an application fee?

Once your application is complete and you have chosen your room you will be expected to make a pre-payment of £300 to secure your booking.

How do I pay for my accommodation?

You will have made a pre-payment of £300 to reserve your room.
You may pay the rest of your accommodation fees in full on arrival, or in instalments. You will have an account with Bangor University and all accommodation fees and tuition fees will be charged to this account.  Most students choose to make payment to the University in three instalments.  Full details will be sent to you by the Academic Registry in your Welcome Week Diary when you are accepted to the University and may also be found on the Finance Office website

What is included in the Hall fees?

  • Internet connection
  • Gym
  • Campus Life membership
  • Insurance
  • Utility bills
  • Pastoral care

Will there be internet connection in my room?

All rooms are connected to the internet and the cost for internet usage is included in the Hall fees.

You have sent me accommodation information but I have decided to defer my place at the University

Please ignore the accommodation information.  We will contact you again prior to your year of entry.  However we would suggest that you contact the Admissions Office (01248 383717) to ensure their records are correct and that they understand you are deferring your place.

I have booked my room but I'm no longer coming to the University. Do I need to contact you?

Please contact the Halls Office as soon as possible so that we can refund your pre-payment. Please note this must be before the date your residence agreement is due to start. If you cancel after this date we will retain the £300 pre-payment.

What if I am a student from the School of Healthcare Sciences with non-standard semester dates?

Please read the section on our website for Nursing and Midwifery Students.  There is usually only one Hall available for students from this School, which will remain open for the whole of the year when required by nurses and midwives. 

I am a late applicant /clearing applicant to the University. Will you still guarantee me accommodation?

If you are a late applicant or a Clearing applicant we would ask you to make an application as soon as possible. We can only guarantee that we will find you a room if the application is made by 31 July. However it is quite likely that we will still have rooms available for students who make applications after this date. When you apply you will be able to see what rooms are still available.

I hope to come to Bangor during the summer to study a pre-sessional ELCOS course. Do I still need to apply for accommodation for September onwards?

Yes, you do need to make an application on-line for accommodation.  Any accommodation you are offered at the University while you are studying on a pre-sessional ELCOS course will be for the duration of that course only. The Halls Office will contact you at the end of the summer vacation to explain the procedures involved in moving to your new room. You must remember to reply to all letters that are sent to you and to check your University email account regularly.

What if I do not wish to live in a University Hall of Residence?

The University’s Student Housing Office is separate to the Halls Office and keeps a database of private accommodation and provides information and assistance. The office is in Neuadd Rathbone and is open daily Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.

Tel: 44 (0)1248 382034   
Fax: 01248 383588  
E-mail: studenthousing@bangor.ac.uk

Do I need to tell you if I have a disability which affects the type of accommodation I require?

If you have a disability which affects the type of accommodation you require, please contact us to discuss the available options.

Information about disabilities is used only to determine the allocation of suitable accommodation. There is no guarantee that suitable facilities will be available. We would encourage students with disabilities, including “hidden” disabilities, such as epilepsy or diabetes, to contact the disability adviser on Tel. 44 (0)1248 382032, or e-mail disabilityservice@bangor.ac.uk. The advisor will be able to discuss any support requirements you may have, as well as your eligibility for additional funding.

Does the University provide any accommodation for families?

Currently the University does not own or manage any family accommodation. All students coming to Bangor with their families should contact the Student Housing Office for help and advice regarding renting appropriate accommodation in the private rented sector.

Student Housing Office - studenthousing@bangor.ac.uk  +44 (0)1248 382034

What are the arrival arrangements at Bangor for September?

You will be given arrival information in August once you have booked your room.

What happens if I’m not happy with the accommodation I’ve chosen?

If you are not happy with where you are living when you arrive in Bangor you can put your name on a waiting list for a different room if one should become available.  It usually takes a while to settle in to your accommodation so once you arrive you should give it some time before putting your name on the waiting list.  Applications for the waiting list can only be made AFTER the first two weeks of session (the date will be advertised in the Halls Office).  You can not make an application before you arrive nor on the day of arrival.

Can I arrive earlier than directed in my arrival literature?

No. We are sorry but the halls will not be ready for arrivals prior to your specified arrival date.

My parents are bringing me to the University. Is there anywhere they can stay?

If you wish to stay in North Wales before your specified arrival day please contact North Wales Tourism on +44 (0) 1492 531731 or www.nwt.co.uk for details of Wales Tourist Board approved accommodation.

Can I arrive later than directed in my arrival literature?

As long as you have made your £300 pre-payment, we will hold your room for you for 4 days after the start of session. If you are arriving later than this you MUST inform the halls office or you will lose your room and your pre-payment.  Fees are payable from the start of the Residence Agreement in all cases.

Can I send my luggage in advance of my arrival?

No, please do not send anything in advance of your arrival at the University. There are no storage facilities available.

Are there any storage facilities at the University?

No.  We are sorry but it is not possible to offer storage during any of the vacations.

How do I use the laundrette?

For information on how to use the laundrette, watch the videos here.

What should I bring with me?

Student bedrooms in all universities have limited storage space. We recommend that you bring only those things you consider essential. If you do forget anything there are plenty of shops in Bangor.  Some key points are listed below:-

  • Students will need to bring their own pots, pans, cutlery, crockery and bedding, as these aren’t provided. You can pre-order such items from our third party provider Unikitout.
  • Electrical appliances over 1 year old require a Portable Appliance Test Certificate.
  • We regret that no storage space is available for surplus belongings or large luggage.

A sense of humour, tolerance towards neighbours and a willingness to try new things, including starting conversations with complete strangers, are all useful

Can I bring a TV?

You may bring a television but you will need your own licence.  We cannot guarantee adequate reception in all our buildings and we do not usually provide aerial connection.  An internal aerial will almost always be necessary. Many students choose to watch TV through their PCs. Please note that it is necessary to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand – including catch up TV – on the BBC iPlayer. This applies to all devices, including a smart TV, desktop computer or laptop, mobile phone, tablet, digital box or games console. More information on the range of streaming television services available on ResNet can be found here.

Can I connect items such as games consoles, media players and other networked devices to ResNet?

In most cases yes.  Details of how to connect additional devices to ResNet alongside your computer are available here.

Can I bring my pet

No. No pets of any description are allowed in halls.

Can I bring my car or bike?

A limited number of car park permits are available for on-site parking. Otherwise parking will be on the street, often some distance from your residence. Some storage for bicycles is available BUT bicycles must not be stored within residences, including your bedroom. There are bike racks outside a number of halls. We also have a limited amount of spaces within covered bike sheds on each of our student villages. Students will be given a key to the allocated bike shed of which the charge will be £30 per year. The bike must be removed and the key needs to be returned at the end of the period of residence for a refund of £15.00 to be made if the account is in credit. Applications will be available from welcome weekend at a first come first served basis, please note that you must have your bike with you to make the application.

Is there anything I can't bring?

Yes there are a few things that are not allowed:

  • Do not bring heaters, candles, oil lamps, incense sticks, cooking appliances or fridges for use in your bedroom. You may bring a small fridge for medical reasons only.  Please contact the Halls Office directly for permission.
  • Do not bring weapons of any sort – not even replicas.
  • Do not bring furniture, e.g. beds, wardrobes or armchairs – they will not fit!
  • Pets, of any description, are not permitted.  This includes fish.

Are my belongings insured?

Student room insurance is provided through Endsleigh. This covers items in your room against theft, fire and flood. To check what is covered, just download your insurance certificate.

Laptops, tablet and phones are not covered outside your room, you may wish to take out additional cover. Endsleigh offer a packages to do this which can be reviewed at: www.endsleigh.co.uk/reviewcover

Are visitors allowed in the Halls of Residence?

Students are responsible for the conduct of any invited visitor to the residence. One overnight guest is permitted up to a maximum of 2 days in any period of 7 days.  Residents are expected to consult with their flatmates and neighbours before inviting guests and all guests must be registered.

Is there any help available if I have problems?

Residences have Senior Wardens and Mentors on call to help you. In Welcome Week there are also student peer guides to assist you. The Halls Office can help with any problems with your room or fee payments.  Peer guides and members of the Mentor team will be available when you arrive.

Who do I contact for more information?

A: Please contact the Halls Office directly.



FAQs about our accommodation

How to apply online for accommodation