Readers Ticket


Bangor University staff and students do not have to register for an External Library and Archives Card but must complete a User Registration Form on their first visit to the Archives.

How to register as an external researcher

An External Library and Archives Card is necessary if you wish to look at original archival material and/or rare books.

You do not need an External Library and Archives Card to access reference books, catalogues or online resources in the reading room.

To obtain an External Library and Archives Card you must bring two documents with you – one from list A to prove your identity and one from list B to prove your address. You must also complete a User Registration Form.

A. Proof of identity (must include a valid signature):

  • Passport
  • Driving licence
  • Bank card
  • Credit card
  • Government / local council staff ID
  • UK or other European Union national ID card
  • Police / Customs / Home Office warrant card
  • HM Forces ID card
  • Sea/Air Master's licence
  • NUJ pass

B. Proof of address (internet printouts are not accepted):

  • Driving licence with address
  • TV licence
  • Utility bill (issued within the last three months)
  • Bank / building society statement (issued within the last three months)
  • Credit card statement (issued within the last three months)
  • Council tax bill / Council rent book
  • HM Revenue and Customs statement
  • Passports with address (where the address has been officially entered by the issuing authority)
  • UK or other European Union national ID card with address
  • Home Office permit to stay
  • University certificate for hall of residence (stamped and signed by institution)
  • UK Firearms licence
  • Home insurance policy
  • International student photo card

Please note that:

  • utility bills, bank / building society statements, credit card statements and HM Revenue and Customs statements cannot be older than three months to be acceptable proof of address.
  • documents such as a driving licence which feature on both lists A and B can be used either as proof of address or proof of identity but cannot be used as both.
  • a valid signed reader's ticket for the National Library of Wales, The National Archives, the British Library or London Metropolitan Archives is an acceptable substitute for the items on list A. You will still need to provide proof of address however.

If you are unable to produce any of these items, or if you do not have a fixed address, please speak to a member of Archive Service staff, who will help you find a way to use our service. However, we can't issue an External Library and Archives Card without adequate means of identification - we regret no exceptions can be made to this rule, in order to protect the integrity of the registration system.

Proof for students

If you are aged 14 or over and still at school or college, should you not be able to provide the required documents for a ticket from the above lists, you can instead bring a letter on headed paper signed by your teacher or tutor, together with evidence of your identity which includes your name and a portrait photograph, such as a passport, Citizen Card or student card. There is a template available for the required letter from your teacher or tutor.

Renewals and lost cards

External Library and Archives Cards are valid for five years from the date of issue and can be renewed with production of proof of identity and address.

Lost, damaged or stolen tickets can be replaced upon production of proof of identity and address.

It looks like you’re visiting from outside the UK, would you like to be redirected to the international page?