Adaptations in European Cinema
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Silvia Bergamini
Overall aims and purpose
- To introduce students to concepts of the re-use of tradition through the study of adaptation and recreation of literary texts, historical events or historical figures in Spanish and Italian cinema.
- To familiarise students with various genres within Spanish, Catalan and Italian cinema.
- To introduce students to the socio-historical and ideological fabric of contemporary Spain and Italy.
- To foster the students' understanding of the relevance of film as a cultural medium.
- To foster analytical and comparative skills.
During this course you will be introduced to issues relating to the re-use of tradition through the study of adaptations and/or recreations of literary texts, historical events or historical figures in Spanish and Italian cinema. You will thus become familiar with the socio-historical and ideological concerns that characterise contemporary Spain and Italy and you will reflect on the importance of film as a cultural medium.
Primary sources: Films - Luchino Visconti's 'Ossessione' (1943) - L. Comencini's 'Le avventure di Pinocchio' (1973) - Francesco Rosi, 'Carmen' (1984) - Carlos Saura, 'Carmen' (1983) - Film and literary adaptions of the myth of Pygmalion, including George Cukor's "My Fair Lady" (1964) - David Trueba, 'Soldados de Salamina' (2003)
Primary sources: Texts ** Compulsory reading materials (including short primary sources and required critical reading for seminars) will be made available via Blackboard. In the case of novels, the students are expected to read them in advance of the relevant class(es). - Collodi, Carlo, Le avventure di Pinocchio. Storia di un burattino, 1883 [in dossier] - Bizet, Georges, 'Carmen', libretto by Henri Meilhac and Ludovic Halévy with English [in dossier] - Mérimée, Prosper, 'Carmen' trans. by Nicholas Jotcham (Oxford: Oxford UP, 1998) [in dossier] - Quim Monzó, ‘Pigmalió’, in El perquè de toto plegat (Quaderns Crema, 1993). - Javier Cercas, 'Soldados de Salamina' (Tusqusts Editores, 2003); 'Soldiers of Salamis' (Bloomsbury, 2003)
D- - D+: A grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of the re-use of tradition in Spanish and Italian cinema. At least partly successful attempts to frame an argument utilising secondary materials.
C- - B+: Good grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of the re-use of tradition in Spanish and Italian cinema. Solid analysis of topic area, making good use of relevant sources to support argument.
A- - A*: Excellent grasp of key issues pertaining to relevant aspect of the re-use of tradition in Spanish and Italian cinema. Clear appreciation of topic, making excellent use of secondary materials and an impressive depth of knowledge and/or subtlety of analysis.
Demonstrate an understanding of the significance and of purpose of the adaptation and recreation of literary events, texts, historical characters or events in Spanish and Italian cinema.
Demonstrate a familiarity with various genres and directors in Spanish and Italian cinema.
Display an awareness of film as an important cultural medium.
Present arguments in presentations, essays and examinations supported with literary and/or critical evidence.
Display a mastery of basic study skills, such as the ability to follow a course of reading, make effective use of notes and secondary sources, and benefit from class discussions.
|2000 word essay||30|
|15 min paper/presentation||30|
|Case Study Essay||40|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One weekly lecture/seminar, with film screenings as per module schedule.
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lxi-3011.html
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 4 (BA/GMST)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 3 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 4 (BA/HFSIE)
Optional in courses:
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 4 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 4 (BA/ASP)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 4 (BA/BIT)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 4 (BA/BSP)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- T106: BA Chinese and Italian year 4 (BA/CHIT)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 4 (BA/CHSP)
- MR95: BA Criminology&Criml Just/Italian year 4 (BA/CRIT)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 4 (BA/CRSP)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 4 (BA/ECIT)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 4 (BA/ECSP)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 4 (BA/ELI)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 4 (BA/ELIT)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELSP)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 4 (BA/FI)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 4 (BA/FS4#)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/FSCH)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 4 (BA/FSFR4)
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/FSGD)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 4 (BA/FSGER)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/FSI)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/FSTP)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 4 (BA/GI)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 4 (BA/GS)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GSIE)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 4 (BA/HIT)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 4 (BA/HSP)
- QR53: BA Italian/Cymraeg year 4 (BA/ITCY)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 4 (BA/ITL)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 4 (BA/ITSSC)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 4 (BA/LSP)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTSP)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Italian year 4 (BA/PRI)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 4 (BA/PRS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 4 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 4 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 4 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 4 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 4 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 4 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 4 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 4 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 4 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 4 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 4 (BA/SPSSC)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 3 (BA/WHFS)