Intro to Embedded Systems
Introduction to Embedded Systems 2023-24
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 2
Indicative content includes:
- Core concepts, putting the Embedded system in context.
- Learning the toolchain for embedded systems.
- Sensing the world, introducing a ranges of sensors and concepts.
- Acting on the world, actuating devices in a controlled manner.
- Communications, linking systems together for greeted effect.
- Development technique and process.
-threshold -Equivalent to 40%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
-good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
-excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevant areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Define 'Embedded System', as contrasted with general purpose computers. Identify key differences between different systems.
- Demonstrate that embedded systems often act on the world by integrating a typical microcontroller and selected actuators for a given task.
- Demonstrate the role of digital and analogue sensors in embedded systems and how they integrate with a typical microcontroller to allow selection of a sensor appropriate for a given task.
- Employ a typical development environment for embedded systems to take a basic development board, compile a simple application, download to the target board and test the resulting outcomes.
- Use simple serial communications to connect an embedded system in the real world to the digital domain.
Produce a single page, graphic rich description of Embedded Systems. Responding to a brief.
Logbook Or Portfolio
Build simple prototypes demonstrating sensing, acting, and communicating.