Business Functions 2023-24
Bangor University International College (Department)
Module - Semester 1 & 2
This module gives you a basic introduction to business and management. We explore how marketing works in different types of businesses and organisations; consider how trade liberalisation and the development of the global market have affected businesses and led to the emergence of the "international manager"; and look at essential human resource management functions and activities in order to give you an understanding of important issues surrounding people in the workplace.
Topics covered include:
Marketing - the marketing function within a business - marketing goals and structures - simple strategic analysis of the marketing environment - pricing, distribution and marketing communications - marketing mix planning - the product life cycle and research into and development of new products
Globalisation - the growth of the multi-national company - the impact of new technology, especially the internet - the international manager - the European Union and its impact on British business - implicit and explicit barriers to trade - the WTO and other global organisations and agencies
Human Resource Management - the role and standard functions of HRM - managing change and resolving conflict in the workplace
Threshold (40-49% / D- to D+): Student has made sufficient progress in the study of this module to achieve the lowest level of pass allowing for progression onto an undergraduate degree.
Satisfactory (50 – 59% / C- to C+): Student demonstrates reasonably comprehensive coverage of learning outcomes, indicating generally accurate understanding, based on lecture material and some core readings. Some gaps in knowledge and/or understanding evident.
Good (60-69% / B- to B+): Student has displayed a sound basic knowledge and understanding of much of the material studied in this module and achieved a high enough grade to indicate a clear ability to cope with the demands of an undergraduate level degree.
Excellent (70% + / A- to A*): Student has engaged consistently well with all aspects of the module and strong achievement in assessments indicates the ability to perform effectively at undergraduate degree level.
- Describe how globalisation has impacted businesses and influenced the development of the managerial role and function
- Explain the basic role and functions of Human Resources within organisations
- Explain the factors affecting the effective marketing of a product, including market research, planning, positioning, pricing, promotion and distribution of products
- Explain the move towards a global economy and give examples of international organisations, groupings and agencies that influence the flow of international trade
- Recognise the importance of marketing and identify an appropriate marketing strategy for a business.