Research Project (Dissertation)
Research Project (Dissertation) 2023-24
School Of Natural Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
The module allows students to undertake an extensive and original independent investigation of a topic of relevance to their degree programme. It may involve practical experimentation in the laboratory and/or field or a non-experimental study. It is conducted under the supervision of a member of academic staff. The module also provides opportunities for students to develop their own ideas, to show initiative, to work on their own and to follow an agreed plan, and for these attributes to be assessed. The project must be written up in the form of a research honours project, to a specified format. In addition, it may also be assessed by a poster presentation, oral presentation, or other method, that may vary according to the degree programme, but that will be specified at the start of the module.
- Collect, critically analyse and summarise information (Benchmark 4.4, 4.5).
- Collect, prepare and process data using appropriate statistical and other procedures (Benchmark 4.5, 4.6, 4.8).
- Communicate accurately and effectively using appropriate methods (Benchmark 4.7).
- Devise, plan and undertake investigations in a safe and responsible manner (Benchmark 4.4, 4.5).
- Evaluate information and draw appropriate conclusions from it using existing knowledge, concepts and principles from relevant disciplines (Benchmark 4.4).
- Work effectively as an individual to achieve targets and meet requirements (Benchmark 4.9).