Internet of Things
Internet of Things 2023-24
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 2
David Edward Perkins
Indicative content includes:
- Behind the buzzword, the 'what' and the 'why' of IoT.
- Architecture of an IoT deployment.
- Information at different scales, from single data points to sensor networks for big data.
- Looking at a range of communication options.
- Security, influences and impact.
- Exploring the server side, prototyping with open platforms.
- Prototyping devices with a network connection.
- Prototyping lower cost, low bandwidth, low power devices for scale.
- Construct a server to act as a conduit between an IoT device and it's user.
- Contrast the costs, in time and effort, of securing IoT deployments.
- Differentiate methods of communications in an IoT deployment, and their possible pros/cons.
- Illustrate the processing flow of information from IoT devices to an end-user.
- Prototype simple IoT devices using common development boards.
- Understand the why and the what of Internet of Things [IoT]. Be able to describe a typical architecture for an IoT deployment.