Practice Placement 1
Placement Learning 2023-24
School Of Medical And Health Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
The module will include: • Implementation of physiotherapy skills in the clinical situation • Service user care and treatment planning including keeping accurate and legal patient records • Communication and interaction with the multi-disciplinary team • Critical analysis of the impact of professional identity on collaborative approaches to clinical practice • Communication and interaction with patients, carers and service users • Professionalism • Identification of relevant legislation and policy such as Health and Safety at work, risk assessments and implementing correct Moving and Handling procedures • Discipline specific learning including practical skills required in physiotherapy • Clinical reasoning and reflective practice to analyse information and make reasoned judgements with minimal guidance
-threshold -This placement will be assessed as a Pass or Fail mark, achieved by meeting the learning outcomes and via negotiation with the placement educator taking into account the student’s personal learning goals for the placement. There will be no percentage mark given for the placement portfolio.
- Choose and implement appropriate solutions in a manner that is safe and effective based on evidence-based practice and clinical reasoning that is commensurate with the knowledge, skills and values of a physiotherapist
- Collate information from assessment to identify the most appropriate intervention planning with service users and carers and discuss possible solutions based on how the physiological effects of the intervention affect the pathology of the problem
- Critically reflect upon how they have conducted themselves in a professional manner as physiotherapy students at all times and how they have undertaken inter-professional working / learning where appropriate.
- Critically reflect upon legislation and policy through identifying, discussing and implementing relevant aspects for ethical service delivery in clinical areas.
- Engage collaboratively with service users while following the problem solving approach with decreasing guidance of the practice educator.
- Evaluate the process of selecting and implementing the intervention and identify ways of monitoring effectiveness and adapting interventions if necessary
- Perform subjective and objective assessments and extract information from non-service user sources where relevant
- Select and utilise the most appropriate method of communication with service users, carers, colleagues and other members of the multi-disciplinary team.
Practice Placement 2 - consisting of 1 x 8-week practice placement.
Practice Placement 1 - consisting of 1 x 8 weeks of practice placement