Welsh Linguistics 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
Topics covered in this module will include topics such as the following:
- The history of Welsh, from a linguistic and socio-historical point of view
- The grammar of contemporary Welsh (e.g. morphosyntax, morphology, phonology, vocabulary)
- Linguistic variation in contemporary spoken Welsh
- Initial consonant mutation - rules and usage
- Welsh-English bilingualism and its reflexes (e.g. code-switching)
- Attitudes to the Welsh language, both historical and contemporary
- The Welsh language in education
- Language change in Welsh
- Minority language maintenance and the future of Welsh.
-threshold -D: student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the LOs -good -B: student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all LOs -excellent -A: student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all LOs; or student has demonstrated an exceptional level of achievement in one or more LOs
- Students will be able to compare linguistic aspects of the Welsh language with other languages they know in a sophisticated and critical way.
- Students will be able to discuss general aspects of Welsh linguistics based on in-class discussions, presentations, and personal reading in the field to an advanced level.
- Students will be able to identify key issues in Welsh linguistic theory, and will be able to formulate pertinent hypotheses and arguments based on the knowledge they acquire via the module to an advanced level.
- Students will be able to present arguments and/or analyses of Welsh linguistics in a clear, concise and sophisticated manner both in writing and orally, at a level appropriate to Masters study.
- Students will know how to critically review and summarise the literature dealing with a specific issue of Welsh linguistics covered in this module to an advanced level.
Online assignment involving linguistic analysis and short-form questions
Essay on a topic in Welsh linguistics