Strategic Thinking in Policing
Strategic Thinking in Policing 2023-24
School Of History, Law And Social Sciences
Module - Semester 2
-Key national strategies and strategy frameworks for policing
-Constitutional set-up and the role of the police in a democratic society
-The role of the police in joint emergency situations and major incidents
-Case examples of major incidents and lessons learnt
-Community engagement and its strategic importance
-Police effectiveness and challenges ahead
-threshold -D- to D+Assessment is based on the degree of engagement with academic literature and student's ability to summarise and critically analyse theory.For a threshold grade, engagement with the academic literature is weak; the student's ability to summarise theory will be mainly descriptive; and there will be little critical analysis and understanding of how theory relates to policing practice.
-good -From C- to B+Assessment is based on the degree of engagement with academic literature and student's ability to summarise and critically analyse theory.For a good and very good grade, there will be good engagement with the academic literature, reflected in the use of a wide range of academic sources; the discussion of the academic theory will go beyond mere description and there will be a critical analysis of theory and how it is applied to policing practice.
-excellent -From A- to A+Assessment is based on the degree of engagement with academic literature and student's ability to summarise and critically analyse theory.For an excellent grade, there will be extensive engagement with the relevant academic literature; a sophisticated presentation of academic theory and a well developed critical analysis of theory. Students will show an excellent grasp of how theory relates to practice.
- Consider key strategic challenges and responses for policing
- Consider the strategic importance of effective community engagement for policing
- Critically review the constitutional role of the police in contemporary society and the wider criminal justice system
- Gain a critical understanding of the strategic framework for policing and how this affects operational policing
- Review the strategic partnerships and review mechanisms in place to enable effective response to major incidents