Covid-19 information for international students - January 2021 intake

Arrival at Campus FAQ

(Welcome, Orientation, Airport Pick-up, Food, Accommodation and Local Travel)

If you cannot arrive on campus in time for the start of the course starting in September 2020  or January 2021 , you will be able to arrive at a later date. 

Students who have already arrived on campus in Bangor AND students who have already booked flights and will be arriving over the coming weeks
All lectures will be online until the 8th February. Our campus remains a Covid-safe environment. Student residences and study spaces remain open and safe.
If you have booked a room in University accommodation, please inform our Halls Office to confirm your arrival date and time (especially if you will be arriving in the evening or at the weekend). The Halls Office will then be able to arrange appropriate support as you will be required to self-isolate for 10 days. Follow this link for further advice on self-isolation arrangements.

Students starting studies remotely from their home country AND students who have not yet made any travel plans
If you have not made any travel arrangements, you will be able to start studying remotely and online from your home country, without having to travel to Bangor for the start of the term. It will be possible to study all of Semester 1 remotely and arrive in Bangor for the start of Semester 2. If you wish to study remotely during parts or all of Semester 1, then you will need to make a formal request to do so through ‘MyBangor’ and renew this request every 4 weeks. You can do this after completing registration.

The nearest International Airport is Manchester. There is information on our website about How to get to Bangor

Before travelling to England, Scotland, or Wales from abroad, including UK nationals returning home, you must provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test result taken up to 3 days before departure. Click here for further guidance.

Will I need to Self-Isolate on Arrival?

The UK and Welsh governments currently require travellers arriving from many countries in the world to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival in the UK. Please see the list of countries exempt from the 10 day self-isolation rules in Wales. Please check this list before you travel as the countries listed may have changed.

Please note: if you come from a country that does not need to self-isolate on arrival, but you transit through a country on your journey to the UK that is not on the exempt list, you WILL be expected to self-isolate on arrival. So please check your flights route carefully.

The aim of the self-isolation policy is to keep the transmission rate in the UK as low as possible by helping prevent the re-introduction of the virus through travellers arriving from overseas.

If you do need to self-isolate on arrival, the University has put in place a number of services to support you to ensure that you are safe and well looked after during your period of self-isolation. Please read the following information carefully.

What does Self-Isolation mean?

  • On arrival in the UK you are required to travel directly from airport to your self-isolation accommodation. 
  • You should not leave your accommodation until the self-isolation period (currently 10 days) is complete (except if you need urgent medical attention or cannot access basic necessities)
  • Compliance with the self-isolation is your personal responsibility – but failure to comply with the requirements is an offence that can be punished with a fine.
  • You will be able to participate in the University Online Orientation programme while self-isolating.
  • If you arrive in the UK after the start of the semester then you can start your studies online while self-isolating, as long as you have completed the online registration process.

The University will do all we can to support you during this self-isolation period to help ensure that you are safe and well. 

Please read this document: How to self-isolate when you arrive in Wales

What do I need to do before I travel?

  1. Inform Bangor University of your arrival date and arrival time by emailing: .
  2. Inform your accommodation provider in the UK of your arrival date and arrival time.
  3. If you have not yet secured accommodation, ensure that you have temporary accommodation booked for your self-isolation period (see the Private Accommodation section below)
  4. Plan how you will travel from the airport to your accommodation. 
  5. Currently anybody arriving in the UK from overseas including International students must complete a passenger locator form online. You will need to provide details of your journey, your contact details and the address in the UK where you will be self-isolating. You can complete it up to 48 hours before you enter the UK. 
  6. Before travelling to England, Scotland, or Wales from abroad, including UK nationals returning home, you must provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test result taken up to 3 days before departure. Click here for further guidance.
  7. Read the UK Government guidance Coronavirus (Covid-19): safer air travel for passengers for advice on how to stay safe while you travel.

What do I need to bring with me when I travel?

You will need to bring:

  • a copy of the passenger locator form, either a printed copy or on your mobile phone - you may need to show it to the immigration officer on arrival
  • evidence of a negative Covid-19 test result
  • a face mask and hand sanitiser in your hand luggage
  • an international credit or debit card and enough cash for use at the airport in case of emergencies – using cash on arrival should be avoided if possible
  • a copy of your CAS letter.

Self-isolating in University Managed Accommodation 

If you have pre-booked a room in University managed accommodation (Halls) then you can self-isolate in the room that you have booked. As students will be expected to remain in self–isolation in their room for this 10 day period the University will provide:

  • 3 meals per day for the 10-day isolation period at no cost*
  • a starter pack* of bedding, towels, toiletries and utensils at no cost 
  • daily contact - a member of the accommodation staff will also contact you daily to check on your health and welfare and offer advice on where you can get help on any issues that arise.

* returning students with a halls contract arriving or returning after the Christmas break and who need to self-isolate will also be provided with the free food service for 2 weeks.

It’s important to inform the Halls office of your planned arrival date so that they are able to ensure that your room is ready, and all the support services are in place. Email 

If you experience the symptoms of Covid-19 during the 10 day quarantine period please alert a member of the accommodation staff who can advise you on what to do next. There is also advice on our website:

If you have additional questions about Self-Isolating in University Managed Accommodation please email: 

Please note that the information above only applies if you have pre-booked a room in University managed accommodation for the year (or a semester for Exchange/Study Abroad students). 

If you have not managed to secure accommodation before your arrival in the UK the University may have some short-term accommodation available for students and may also be able to provide a food service for students booking this short-term accommodation that need to self-isolate.  However, you will be required to pay for the room, starter pack* and the food, at a cost of £438 for the 10 day period. You should book this short-term accommodation before you arrive by emailing:

*Starter pack contents:
•    bed pack (duvet, pillows, bed linen) size dependent on room.
•    a toiletry tack (shampoo, shower gel, soap etc)
•    crockery pack (all crockery, cutlery and glass tumbler)
•    toilet roll 2 ply x2
•    towels x 2 
•    mini kettle.

Self-isolating in Private Accommodation 

If you have booked a place in Private Accommodation check what support your accommodation provider will be able to provide during your self-isolation period. 

You should also ensure that you inform both the University and your accommodation provider of your arrival date.

The University has been liaising with private accommodation providers to enquire about what support they can offer and to ensure that they understand the requirements around self-isolation.

The International student support team will be able to offer you help, support and advice while you are self-isolating in private accommodation.

Because you will need somewhere safe and comfortable to self-isolate on arrival and you need to provide your address in the UK on the passenger locator formit’s essential to arrange at least temporary accommodation before your arrival in the UK.

If you have not managed to secure accommodation before your arrival in the UK the University may have some short-term accommodation available for students and may also be able to provide a food service for students booking this short-term accommodation that need to self-isolate.  However, you will be required to pay for the room, starter pack* and the food, at a cost of £438 for the 10 day period. You should book this short-term accommodation before you arrive by emailing:

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide accommodation for couples and families in University managed accommodation. If you are coming with your family please contact our Private Housing Office for advice: 

Food delivery services

If you are self-isolating in private accommodation then you can order food to be delivered to your accommodation:

1)  Supermarket food deliveries 
•  Tesco
•  Asda
•  Morrisons - Call 0345 611 6111 - Select option 5 – Line open 8am – 6pm daily; next day delivery; £2 delivery charge
•    local oriental food store – – Minimum spend £24

2)  Take-away food 

*Starter pack contents:
•    bed pack (duvet, pillows, bed linen) size dependent on room.
•    a toiletry tack (shampoo, shower gel, soap etc)
•    crockery pack (all crockery, cutlery and glass tumbler)
•    toilet roll 2 ply x2
•    towels x 2 
•    mini kettle.

January intake -  Yes, the online orientation programme will run from the 18 - 22 January 2021, and it will include a series of information and welcome sessions.

Further details are published on our webpage and the programme will also be emailed to you prior to your arrival.

If you book University accommodation, you will most likely be living in a shared building with other students, so you will have the opportunity to meet fellow students and make friends. We will ensure that you are briefed on government regulations for social distancing in force at the time, so you and your friends can live together safely. Please note, university will keep your safety and fellow students safety as our top priority, so may impose required restrictions from time to time. 

If you have booked a room in University Managed Accommodation but are not able to arrive on campus due to Covid-19 we can hold your room for up to 12 weeks and you will not be charged until you arrive on campus and move into your room. It is essential to keep our halls office informed on your intended arrival date 
Applications for University Managed Accommodation for students arriving for the January 2021 intake are now open. You will receive an email from our halls office with further information once the application process opens.


(Social, Safety, Discrimination, and Healthcare)

International students in the UK will be able to access the Covid-19 vaccine, however, priority is given to healthcare workers, the elderly and individuals with health conditions, older international students or those with underlying medical conditions will fall into priority categories, in the same way as the domestic population.

The University will inform all students of arrangements as soon as details are available. In order to get access to the vaccine and to receive healthcare in the UK, international students should register with a General Practitioner (GP/local Doctor).
If you are already a Bangor University student, but have not yet registered with a Doctor
Students from the EU are entitled to free medical services in the UK if you have applied for the EU Settlement scheme and been given settled or pre-settled status.

International students (including those from the EU who have to apply for a Student Visa) would have had to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of the visa process - making this payment entitles you, also, to free medical attention.
However, to receive treatment or medication, you will have to register with a Doctor at a local Medical Centre/Surgery. It is very important that you have registered and we recommend the Bodnant Medical Centre, near our Ffriddoedd Campus:
Once registered, you can check on the availability of the Covid-19 vaccine, along with other medical issues.  For more information contact:
If you are joining Bangor University in January 2021
New international students who have secured a student visa will have had to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of the visa process. This then entitles you to access medical healthcare in the UK - but you must register with a local doctor on arrival in Bangor.

We recommend the Bodnant Medical Centre in Bangor, which is close to our Ffriddoedd Campus - and once registered, you can seek advice on Covid-19 issues and vaccines, along with any other medical matter.  For more information, contact:

The fastest way to get tested and get a certificate is by paying a private company to do it. VFS Global is very popular among international students, it's done by post so you don't need to go to any centre to get tested, it costs 120 GBP and you will get a certificate with your results. You can book it here:

Please remember that not all countries require a certificate to enter the country. You can check that by calling your flight company or Embassy in the UK.

Bangor University will be complying with the policies and procedures of the Welsh Government, more information can be found here. We do also recommend that you visit the UK government Covid-19 webpage also, which is updated regularly to understand the current situation and risk level in the UK.

Social distancing is the term used in the UK about the steps to reduce social interaction between people. This helps reduce the transmission of coronavirus from one person to another. In other countries, this is sometimes called ‘physical distancing’.

This new way of University life will also mean changes on the campus to ensure that we all stay safe. As the Covid-19 rules and guidelines keep changing, we will be letting you know more specific details about how moving around the campus will work and what facilities will be available. Our aim is to enable physical distancing in and around our buildings, to comply with the health and safety rules and recommendations for matters such as cleaning and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) such as face masks etc.

During this difficult period, the International Student Support Office, Student Services and your School will provide support for your academic studies and any non-academic issues you may have. This will mainly be done online, by telephone, skype and email. Depending on the situation and rules in place for social distancing, some face-to-face support may also be available.

In addition to support for your studies from your School, we will also advise you on practical issues such as visas, financial matters, health, registration and general issues concerned with living in a new country and environment. For further details visit the international student support page.

If you have any questions or need advice on anything, please contact us at:

We understand how important it is to maintain a sense of community throughout this global crisis and we are taking every possible step to support your studies, your mental health and wellbeing, and your relationships with other students and staff. From the very beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, the university has been offering Online Chat Sessions with our staff, conducting free webinars to help resolve any queries you may have, offering advice on health, travel, accommodation, visa, and study-related matters, and also providing hardship funds to some of our students in need. We will continue with these during semester 1 - please check your Bangor email for details.


All international students studying courses which are longer than 6 months are required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge which allows them to benefit from free NHS treatment if they get sick while studying their course within the UK.  

For students from the European Union, please check with your home government as to the validity of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which you may already have by clicking here.

If you are studying for less than 6 months, it is advisable to purchase private medical insurance before you travel to the UK.

All of our sports clubs and societies are free to join and will be running from September 2020. Bangor is luckier than many other universities, in that we have an amazing location, with a range of outdoor space on our doorstep which we will be using to provide a programme of socially-distanced sports club and general activities, as well as an online offering. 
Specific details about the range of activities on offer will be available nearer the time and we are absolutely committed to ensuring that your experience at University is not just about your academic studies and that it includes all of the other elements which make being a student such an amazing adventure while also keeping you safe.

The University strongly recommends that all staff and students wear face coverings within buildings. In certain circumstances there may be a requirement to do so. 

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and face coverings are two different items. The University will provide PPE for those activities which require their use, such as close interactions and laboratory work. The need for PPE will be specified in individual risk assessments or protocols. With regards to face coverings, the University will not be providing face coverings for staff or students. In line with Welsh Government recommendations, the use of (washable) three-ply face coverings is recommended. 


Webinars and Live Chat with staff

We will be scheduling a number of Live Chat sessions over the coming weeks so that you can speak to academic staff and support staff.

Live Chat Sessions

Chat with our students

If you like you can chat with our current students through Uni Buddy or contact our International Student Ambassadors.


Contact us through email