Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information

New Students

Proof of Identity

Proof of Identity – acceptable documents

There are two stages to complete before you are formally registered as a Bangor University Student. The first stage is the on-line enrolment process and then for stage two, you must provide the University with proof of your identity. Once these two stages have been completed successfully you will receive your Student Identity card (which should be collected from the Deiniol Building, Deiniol Road, Bangor) and will be formally registered.  Do not send these documents in to us, but please bring the originals with you to university. International students will need to provide the documents listed in Section A. UK and EU students will need to provide either one document from Section B or two documents from Section C. Please note that students whose courses are not based in Bangor (e.g. distance learners and some part-time students) are requested to upload copies of the relevant documents as part of the on-line enrolment process.

Take a look here for details about the times and dates of the ID Checking Events.

Section A

For full time international students 

You must provide the following:

  • Passport

  • Entry Clearance Vignette and Biometric Residence Permit

  • Student Visitor Visa (for students on courses 6 months or less e.g. Exchange Students)

For international part-time students/ international distance learners

  • Passport or National Identity Card

Section B

UK/EU students

You must provide one of the following or two documents from Section C below:

  • Passport / EU National Identity card / EEA/Swiss Identity Card

  • UK Photographic Drivers Licence (including provisional)

Section C

ONE of these documents must contain your full name and address, (which will be checked against your address held on the university student record system):

  • Current Credit Card or Bank Debit Card

  • Full Drivers Licence (without photo)

  • Original Birth/Adoption Certificate

  • Marriage/Civil Partnership Agreement

  • National Insurance Card

  • HM Forces ID Card

The following must have been issued within the last 12 months

  • Credit Card Statement
  • Utility Bill
  • Mortgage Statement

  • Council Tax Statement

  • Home Office Documents

  • Inland Revenue Documents

  • Benefit Statement (e.g. Child Benefit, pension, etc)

  • Correspondence from the Student Loans Company or Local Authority

Academic Registry