Run by Bangor Business School
15 Credits or 7.5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Jon Williams
Overall aims and purpose
Aims: To examine the origins of international banking, the activities of international banks, the markets in which they participate, and the sources of risk in international banking.
Overview of financial management at modern banks; Current trends and impacts of foreign banks; Origins and evolution of international banks and markets; Evaluating country risks; The location decision; Diversification, risk and value; Syndicated lending; Financial crises; Issues in international bank regulation; Issues in executive compensation.
A basic knowledge of course material.
In addition to the above, an ability to write analytically on specific issues
In addition to the above, the ability to illustrate and enhance arguments and analyses through the use of relevant supporting evidence drawn from the established literature.
Examine the relationship between bankers’ pay and firm performance.
Comprehend the current debate on regulating international banks.
Evaluate the risks facing international banks.
Appraise why, where and how banks go abroad and identify outcomes.
Critically examine cases of market failure in international banking.
Understand the functions of modern banks and how they are managed.
Discuss the emergence and evolution of international banking.
|Final Exam Mark||75|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 2-hour lecture per week plus a one hour workshop.
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N3CH: MA Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MA/BFCB)
- N3AB: MA Banking & Finance year 1 (MA/BIF)
- N3BE: MA Islamic Banking and Finance year 1 (MA/IBF)
- N3BB: MA Banking and Law year 1 (MA/LBANK)
- N3AD: MBA Banking and Finance year 1 (MBA/BIF)
- N3BM: MBA Islamic Banking and Finance year 1 (MBA/IB)
- N3BC: MBA Banking and Law year 1 (MBA/LBANK)
- N4AK: MSc Accounting and Banking year 1 (MSC/ACB)
- N3AX: MSc Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/BANKFIN)
- N3CK: MSc Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MSC/BFCB)
- N3BF: MSc Islamic Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/IBF)
- N3CD: MSc International Banking year 1 (MSC/INTB)
Optional in courses:
- M1AL: LLM Law and Banking year 1 (LLM/LB)