|School:||Bangor Business School|
|Credits:||15 (or 7.5 ECTS credits)|
Overall aims and purpose
To enable students to understand appropriate management accounting techniques and methods and provide them with the ability to apply them.
The use of financial data in assessing business performance;
Using this data to set the strategic aims of the organisation;
The methods available to the management accountant for developing effective management in any specific situation;
Cost classification, allocation and the use of various analytical models;
Discussion of the issues of variance analysis;
Study of ABC and SABM principles, their strengths and weaknesses, and their place in current management thinking.
Work demonstrating an adequate attempt at acquiring and applying knowledge.
1. Partial identification of the issues
2. Adequate understanding and use of appropriate conceptual frameworks, experience and facts; some errors
3. Some evidence of consulting source material
4. No originality
5. Insufficient relevance
1. Links parts together, but lacks a coherent structure
2. Clear, but limited, objectives
3. Does not always reach a conclusion
4. Weakened by inappropriate or inaccurate use of language
Work demonstrating high level of analytical and applied competence on a broad range of factors. Free of major errors.
1. Clear identification of the issues
2. High standard of critical analysis using appropriate conceptual frameworks and/or applying relevant experience and facts
3. Good evaluation and synthesis of source material
4. Shows some fresh thinking and originality
5. Substantially relevant
1. Clearly structured and logically developed
2. Clear, relevant and attainable objectives
3. Relevant conclusions
4. Supported by an appropriate range and use of language
Work of excellent quality in every respect. Focused and comprehensive, with critical depth and insight. Representing a model answer at the top end of the range.
1. Concise and comprehensive identification of the issues
2. Excellent standard of critical analysis using appropriate conceptual frameworks and/or applying relevant experience and facts
3. Comprehensive and excellent use, evaluation and synthesis of source material
4. Shows fresh thinking and originality
5. Wholly relevant
1. Well structured and logically developed
2. Exceptionally clear, relevant and attainable objectives
3. Clearly spelled out and relevant conclusions
4. Supported by a good range and appropriate use of language
Demonstrate an analytical understanding of cost classification, cost assignment, and the ability to apply linear and non-linear models to pricing and analysis.
Develop a practical ability to assign service department costs, to assist in operational decision making.
Develop a rigorous appreciation of the concepts and principles of variance analysis, and the understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the methods used.
Understand the methods, principles and application of the allocation of joint product costs.
Understand cost and effect, based on case research and application to appropriate cases.
Understand the application of the principles of Activity Based Costing (ABC) and Strategic Activity Based Management (SABM) to the organisation and it's strategic aims.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
||3 hours of lectures per week.
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
Optional in courses: