Islamic Insurance 2023-24
Ysgol Busnes Bangor
Modiwl - Semester 2
Owain Ap Gwilym
Main features of Islamic contracts relating to insurance (Takaful); Comparison of Islamic and conventional insurance business; Islamic insurance operations in different countries; Managerial and corporate governance aspects relating to Islamic insurance firms and role of Sharia board; Management and underwriting policies of Islamic insurance firms; Limits and opportunities for Islamic insurance; Ethical framework under which Islamic insurance is conducted.
-threshold 50% -No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills; Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
-good 60% Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed; Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. High Standard: Very good performance; Most of the relevant information accurately deployed; Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
-excellent 70% An outstanding performance, exceptionally able; The relevant information accurately deployed; Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Analyse, summarise and synthesise independently researched academic and professional studies on Islamic insurance.
- Compare and contrast the features of conventional and Islamic insurance business.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the objectives and concepts of Islamic insurance.
- Understand how Islamic insurance markets differ in various countries.
- Understand key concepts relating to the regulation and accounting treatment of Islamic insurance.
- Understand the nature of different Islamic insurance contracts.
An assignment on topical issues in Islamic Insurance, based on case studies and academic research literature.
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
2 hour closed-book Examination, centrally timetabled.